"Jackalope" by Denise Low (December 2015, Red Mountain Press)

If you are interested in a modern spin on old folk tales with trickster leads, this is the book for you. Join Jack/Jaq, a gender-bending part-antelope, part-rabbit, as s/he travels through the grasslands encountering various mythic creatures like Bigfoot and Jayhawks.

Local Lawrence author Low’s "Jackalope" is a collection of short stories that draw from Native American trickster stories and puts them in a 21st century context. For anyone looking for a bit of bawdy humor and magic, be sure to pick this book up when it’s released in December.

Read a short story about Jaq here.

"Deep City" by Megan Kaminski (October 2015, Noemi Press)

"Deep City" is a collection of poetry written by Kaminski, a University professor. Within her poems she investigates the relationship between natural and constructed spaces and the body within them. For any fan of thoughtful poetry, this book is a must.

Kaminski has written several essays and poems for "The Atlantic," "American Letters & Commentary," "Denver Quarterly," "Puerto del Sol," "Third Coast" and other journals. 

"The Prom Dress Room" by Sandy Hazlett (Aug. 14, 2015, Anamcara Press)

"The Prom Dress Room" is a small book composed of illustrations and verse inspired by thrift-shop prom dresses. With each prom dress, she tells the stories of who might’ve worn them.

Local Lawrence writer Hazlett has published several poems in "Coal City Review," "I-70 Review," and the Welsh journal, "Quattrocento." All sales for the book will go to Social Service League, a local Lawrence thrift shop.

"MoonStain" by Ronda Miller (May 2015, Meadowlark)

Weaving together a narrative of childhood experiences on a farm to the trials of adulthood and womanhood, Miller, with her beautiful imagery and style, transports the reader through her life. "MoonStain" is a collection of poems that combine narrative with beautiful lyricism.

Miller grew up in the high plateau region of northwest Kansas. She graduated from the University with degrees in human development and creative writing.

"Ireland’s Weather" by Susan Rieke (2015, Mammoth Publications)

For those who want to be enchanted by the beauty of Ireland, readers won’t have to look any further than "Ireland’s Weather," written by Leavenworth poet Rieke. Within the pages, readers will see how the mythic Ireland of old mixes with the Ireland of now in clear detail.

Reike is currently a professor of English at the University of Saint Mary in Leavenworth. She has published two other works of poetry.

"My Secret Wars of 1984" by Dennis Etzel Jr. (August 2015, BlazeVox Books)

"My Secret Wars of 1984" transports you back to a time of Cold War fear in the background of Reaganomics and 1980s pop culture and politics. The poetry Etzel uses conveys a specific moment, a specific meaning and hints at the questions plaguing an adolescent during this time.

Etzel currently teaches English at Washburn University and lives in Topeka with his family. His poems have appeared in "Denver Quarterly," "Indiana Review," "BlazeVOX," "3:AM," "DIAGRAM," "Fact-Simile," "Coal City Review," "Blue Island Review," and "Flint Hills Review."

"Girl in Reverse" by Barbara Stuber (May 2015, Margaret K. McElderry Books)

If you like historical fiction, this may be the book for you. Set during the height of Cold War anxieties, the narrative follows Lily, a young teenager of Asian heritage who was put up for adoption by a mother who quickly disappeared soon after. She starts learning about her heritage throughout the course of the book through broken antiques and rare Chinese artifacts.

Stuber lives in Kansas City with her family. She has published one other book, "Crossing the Tracks."

— Edited by Colleen Hagan