I Love The 90s Tour

TLC headlines the I Love the 90s tour at the Salem Civic Center on Friday, Sept. 8, 2017. Tionne Watkins, left, and Rozonda Thomas. (Heather Rousseau/The Roanoke Times via AP)

Nas - “N.Y. State of Mind”

Nas’ “Illmatic” remains one of the most influential rap albums of the 90’s. The second track of the album, “N.Y. State of Mind,” demonstrates Nas’ unique ability to fully convey his experience growing up in Queensbridge through incredibly detailed lyrics.

-Nicole Asbury | @nicoleasbury

Lauryn Hill - "Doo Wop (That Thing)"

The first single off Hill's groundbreaking album "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill" was a prelude to Hill's significant impact on hip-hop culture. With her rhymes and soothing melodies, "Doo Wop (That Thing)" was among the first singles to bring a female perspective to hip-hop. In the song, she warned women from being manipulated by men for "that thing."

-DeAsia Paige | @deasia_paige

Recording Registry

Lauryn Hill performs in Philadelphia. Twenty-five sound recordings spanning from 1890 to 1999 were added Wednesday to the Library of Congress National Recording Registry. Each year the library chooses recordings that are "culturally, historically or aesthetically significant."

Spice Girls - “Wannabe”

Besides being a go-to karaoke song, “Wannabe” is a fun, upbeat bop with a message of friendship by an the all-girl band.

-Rachel Gaylor | @raegay218 

Backstreet Boys - “I Want it that Way”

A song that most people associate with the '90s, even though the album “Millennium” was released in May 1999. The song is a perfect culmination of every cheesy boy-band cliche in the book, but it's just so darn catchy! It made airports hotter (virtually impossible accomplishment) and a white-on-white attire attractive (how!?)

-Chihiro Kai | @KansanNews

Sublime - “Santeria”

Representing the ska punk movement of the '90s, “Santeria” is one of the most legendary songs from the movement as well as Sublime’s most popular. Although it was released after lead singer Bradley Nowell’s death, it is still considered one of their most influential pieces.

-Callie Pearce | @KansanNews

The Notorious B.IG. - “Juicy”

This song epitomizes '90’s hip-hop. Not only did this song go on to break records during its time, Biggie’s rhyme flow and lyrics are being taught in poetry classes all over the world to this day.

-Nathan Mize | @meyeze

Beastie Boys - “Girls”

Regardless of the art that is the three exceptional men that make up the Beastie Boys, I just like singing about girls for three minutes straight.

-Darby VanHoutan | @darbyvanhoutan

Naughty by Nature - “O.P.P”

In one of the arguably most important life lessons to come out of the '90s, “Naughty by Nature” taught us that it’s important to know who is and who isn’t down with other people’s ... property.

-Darby VanHoutan | @darbyvanhoutan

TLC - “Waterfalls”

It’s still a bop 23 years later, teaches us to never go after dreams without thought to consequences, and it’s TLC … need I say more?

-Grant Heiman | @grantheiman

OMC - “How Bizarre”

After listening to the first few seconds of this song, I am immediately taken back to my youth. The melody and hooks are beyond recognizable and they create a sense of nostalgia that few other songs during this era can draw upon.

-Brianna Childers | @breeanuhh3

Radiohead - “Creep”

“Creep” is the quintessential angst song. It's angry and pleading, the kind of song you listen to on a dark, lonely car ride on the way home from a bad date. Thom Yorke's rough voice and devastating lyrics (I want a perfect body/I want a perfect soul) is the perfect validation of a generation's insecurity.

-Courtney Bierman | @courtbierman

— Edited by Wesley Dotson