KPR-2.jpg

A $100 gift card and tickets to KPR events for the rest of the year are among the awards for winning the KPR coffee mug design contest.

To participate in the Kansas Public Radio coffee mug design contest, you don’t have to be an artist.

The inaugural contest encourages participants to design a KPR mug that will be distributed to KPR members at the organization's Ice Cream Social on June 20.

“Even if it’s just a hobby, it’s an opportunity for them to get their art out there and their name out there,” said Bobbi Washechek, KPR’s media, sponsorship and event coordinator. “I’m pretty young, too. When I was getting started on my job, it was always great to have these resume builders and things to put in your portfolio.”

Washechek said anyone can submit an entry by the March 22 deadline and the logo is available for download online. The design can include a full color scheme, but it must be 8.25 inches by 3.5 inches.

Contestants can submit the design onto KPR’s official website. The winning entry will receive a $100 gift certificate from Downtown Lawrence Inc., free tickets to upcoming KPR events for the year, a poster book from Wonder Fair, two of the mugs with the winning design, and a reception at KPR.

The runner-up will receive a $25 Raven Book Store gift certificate, $20 Mad Greek gift certificate and free tickets to KPR events for the year.

All submissions will be featured on KPR’s website.

“We’re not looking for anything specific because we want artists to kind of do their own thing with it,” Washechek said. “Otherwise, you’re kind of preventing them from creating authentic art to themselves.”

Washechek said she expects to announce the winner on April 1. More information on the contest can be found on KPR’s official website kansaspublicradio.org.