Vinyl album covers line the wooden shelves at Urban Outfitters

Arts columnist Audrey Kesler shares some of her favorite songs for the many changing moods that we undergo in everyday college experiences.

Column

We all have a favorite song, band, artist, or genre. We all make playlists to fit a mood on repeat. I have a 17-hour Spotify playlist dedicated to strictly party/rap music for parties and other gatherings. On the other side of the spectrum, I also have a playlist for music my parents made me listen to growing up. Diving deeper into my music taste, let’s discuss some songs that go along with someone’s mood.

I’m Gonna Show You Crazy — Bebe Rexha

This song is a good moment for when you feel like you’re going insane. If you’re angry about something, if someone pushes your buttons, or if you want to scream, this is your song. It makes me think of those moments when you are in a heated conversation and the person says “You’re crazy!” and you think, “Oh, I’ll show you crazy!” With lyrics like “loco, maniac, sick bitch, psychopath,” screaming them can really help you feel better about whatever was bothering you.

STUPID — Ashnikko feat. Yung Baby Tate

This song is for all those times when stupid boys think that we need him. This song goes hard and is another good screaming song for when you realize your self worth. If you ever feel like a guy has treated you wrong or you went through something with a guy that was not worth your time and energy, this song is your anthem. Listen to it with your pals, dance crazy to it, and learn all the lyrics because it is, and always will be, relevant.  

I Know There’s Gonna Be (Good Times) — Jamie xx feat. Young Thug, Popcaan

You know when you and your friends are just driving around with the windows down singing a song together? This is that song! The vibe is in the title — it’s simply a song for a good time. The beat itself makes me feel very happy and excited to be alive. I also discovered this song back in 2016, which we can all agree was the best and most memorable year, so it gives me memories of fun times with some of my closest friends.

Summertime In Paris — Jaden feat. WILLOW

You know that warm feeling you get when you look at someone? Or when you feel a little nervous looking into someone's eyes and can’t help but put on a big grin? Jaden provides the best song for that feeling. Personally, I am not an ooey-gooey, lovey-dovey person, but this song is a perfect segue to expressing how I feel toward someone I love. When Willow says “Only you, yeah, you make my heart race,” who do you picture?

TALK ME DOWN — Troye Sivan

We all have those moments where we just want to curl up in a ball, be sad, maybe cry and just listen to music on full blast. This song provides an easy transition to crying (maybe just for me) with the use of strings and heart-hitting beat drops. The song talks about having someone who can literally talk you down when you overthink something (or at least that is how I interpret it). Sometimes you need a good cry, but hopefully this song will give you closure as well, and calm your nerves when you’re overthinking.

MINT — KAMAU feat. Talibah Safiya

Close your eyes and pretend you’re in a coffee shop. You ordered your favorite drink and you’re just sipping and people-watching. The calming tone of the song always makes me feel relaxed and at ease. The song itself talks about being comfortable with someone and being able to be yourself around them which, from experience, is a wonderful feeling in itself. There is also something about the singer's voice that comforts me. This song can be great for you and your boo to listen and relate to, it can be for you and your friends to vibe to, or it can be just for you when you’re in a tranquil state of mind.

Regardless of your music taste, we are all human and all experience different types of emotions. Take some time to think about your own favorite songs for each of these moods.

—Edited by Madeleine Rheinheimer