RPG, but the better one

At RPG, patrons will be able to play tabletop board games with their food and drinks. RPG will open this fall.

Board games, grub and mead.

RPG, which stands for Restaurant, Pub & Games, will open at 724 Massachusetts St. Sept. 19

“We are aiming to be a hip community gathering space for adults from all social circles to connect face-to-face,” said Matt Pool, vice president of development. 

Pool said the idea came from a desire to create a place where people could go offline and play some board games. RPG serves alcoholic beverages and chef-prepared American style food. The establishment is currently for anyone 18 years old and up, but there is a plan to drop the age restrictions on Sundays. 

“We want this to be a place where adults can hang out, whether it is a date night, girls’ night out, bachelorette party, etc.,” said Betsy Pool, vice president of marketing and research. 

Matt Pool said there are over a thousand games available at RPG. The bar and restaurant has classics such as Monopoly and Yahtzee, and newbies like Photosynthesis and Wingspan. Betsy said they are also planning on having special events such as trivia and tournament nights.

“We thought having a board game bar is just what Lawrence and KU needs —another adult community space,” Betsy Pool said. 

RPG has been a work in progress for two years but are on track for a fall opening.

“We wish we could open sooner, but we are excited to see everyone there this fall,” Matt said. 

The entire RPG team is from Lawrence and they wanted to give back to the community. 

“We are excited to be a bigger part of a town we love and to provide a hub in downtown Lawrence for people to meet, hangout, play games, have a drink and enjoy great food,” Matt Pool said.