New Music Mondays UPDATED

This week’s “New Music Monday” features Rico Nasty, Kevin Abstract and Taylor Swift. Taylor Swift returns to music with another catchy, upbeat single while albums from Rico Nasty and Kevin Abstract explore feelings of rage, depression and loneliness.

“ME!” by Taylor Swift feat. Brendon Urie

On her first single since her 2017 album “reputation,” Taylor Swift sends an empowering message to listeners about loving themselves. The single is mainly about embracing the best aspects of yourself and focuses on celebrating your individuality, which relates to the pop single’s upbeat rhythm. Swift recruited Panic! at the Disco’s Brendon Urie to help express the message.

“Anger Management” by Rico Nasty and Kenny Beats

This is the first collaborative project between rapper Rico Nasty and producer Kenny Beats. Similar to Rico Nasty’s previous projects, the album is a fusion of rock, rap and punk. Upon the first listen, Rico Nasty’s genre-defying rage heard throughout the project instantly makes one want to hit a wall, which seems to be intentional at the end of the project.

Rico Nasty encourages listeners to find positive outlets for their anger, as she has done with her music. A main highlight of the album is Kenny Beats flipping Jay-Z’s “Dirt Off Your Shoulder” on “Hatin,” in which Rico Nasty raps about men constantly hating on women.

“ARIZONA BABY” by Kevin Abstract

“ARIZONA BABY” is Kevin Abstract’s third studio album. Throughout the album, Brockhampton’s founding member sings and raps about growing up in suburban Texas as a queer black boy and the lessons he’s learned throughout his career. He also expresses dealing with feelings of loneliness and depression, which aligns with the album’s laid-back and soothing indie rap vibe.