mockingbirdlane

Terry Taylor is the owner of 1313 Mockingbird Lane, a downtown toy store whose grand opening is this weekend.

Fans of the classic mid-1960s sitcom “The Munsters” had a spectacular day Tuesday, when actor Butch Patrick stopped in Lawrence for a meet-and-greet with fans. The former child star signed autographs, took pictures and shared stories of his time on set playing the young werewolf, Eddie Munster.

The event took place at 1313 Mockingbird Lane Toys and Collectibles, a toy store named after the Munster family’s home address in the show. It was only fitting Patrick made a stop here on his way to Iowa for another event.

“I’ve never been to a store named after the show,” Patrick said. “But everybody knows that address, so 1313 Mockingbird Lane would be a great grabber. If I was going to open a business, I would want to use something that would put a smile on people’s faces and draw their curiosity.”

Terry and Liz Taylor opened their store Feb. 19, and were floored when they got a call from a Munsters’ representative about hosting a signing event.

“I have a store named after the Munsters with a Munster in the store, so it doesn’t get much better than that. So, it means a lot,” Terry said. “I’ll probably be tripping on this for quite some time.”

Patrick talked to and signed autographs for hundreds of fans of all ages for three hours.

Prior to opening, there was a line out the door and down the block. Parents and children alike gushed over the presence of a cult classic character. His first time in Lawrence was a success with people of all ages.

“The smaller towns are a lot of fun because a lot of times people don’t go to comic cons,” Patrick said. “The line was good, the people were great, the weather cooperated; it’s nice to see people that normally don’t go to the typical conventions.”

Patrick will continue touring the country this summer. He has plans to make a Munsters-themed escape room based on “Grandpa’s Dungeon” from the show. And if all goes well, Patrick will co-host Eddie’s Monster Movie Mausoleum later this year on YouTube.