Roses (The Bachelor)

Jayhawks tune in every Monday to see which women receive a rose from Colton Underwood, the current star of ABC's "The Bachelor."

“Will you accept this rose?” It's a question many University of Kansas students hear every Monday night.

Freshmen like Danielle Kunz and Areej Fatima, along with their respective friends and floormates, watch “The Bachelor” every week, following Colton Underwood’s journey and quest for love in the series’ 23rd season.

“Well, so far there’s been a lot going on, but most of it, it’s just there’s a lot of girls leaving this season,” said Fatima, an Overland Park native studying psychology at KU. “So I think that says a lot about, like, the way love and romance is portrayed these days.”

ABC’s “The Bachelor” and “The Bachelorette” franchise has entertained individuals — many of them Jayhawks — across the nation since 2002 with its popular reality dating show, which pits one man or woman with several contestants, all vying for love and a proposal by the season finale.

“Sometimes it’s just hysterical, like the things that go down in 'The Bachelor,' because it’s like, wow, that would never happen in the real life,” Fatima said.  

This season, there’s a twist. For the first time in franchise history, the Bachelor is a virgin, and fans are curious to see if Colton remains celibate by the end of the season.

“I feel like that’s the target of this season,” Fatima said.

Not all “Bachelor” fans like Colton. That includes Kunz.

“Colton is not getting to know all of the girls in equal amounts,” said Kunz, who is from St. Louis and is studying business, international studies and Spanish at KU.

In addition, Kunz said she thinks Colton says and does the same things with each girl on the show.

“I don’t know. He’s just kinda boring to me,” Kunz said.

Kunz said she enjoys viewing random “Bachelor” and “Bachelorette” seasons with her mom. She also said the show brings friends together while watching it.  

Fatima said watching the show is a perfect alternative to doing homework for the evening.

“Honestly, I do like the drama. I love it when it all goes down between the girls,” Fatima said.

Fatima said she also enjoys watching the drama unfold during “Bachelorette” seasons too.

“And then, ‘The Bachelor,’ I think is just fun to see how low everyone can go to just win this guy’s heart who they met like two weeks ago,” Fatima said.

Some who watch the show think fan-favorite Cassie Randolph will win Colton’s heart in the end.

Kunz said she likes Randolph because she is down to earth.

“And she’s really intelligent,” Kunz said. “And she’s sweet and she’s really pretty, and whenever her and Colton are together, they have good conversations and they’re laughing together, and I think it’s cute.”

However, it’s all up in the air until the season finale.

“I don’t know,” Fatima said. “It’s getting tough to pick.”