Walking to class, riding the bus or sitting outside, University of Kansas students pass the time between classes by popping in their earphones and picking a song.

In this week’s (the very first) “University Daily Tunes,” students get back into the swing of classes by listening to upbeat songs from several genres, such as hip-hop, alternative and electronic.

Here are five songs Jayhawks are listening to this week:

“Worms” by The Japanese House

Alivia Crouch, a freshman from Bonner Springs, put in earphones while waiting for the bus along Sunnyside Avenue. Crouch had seen alternative band The Japanese House perform in concert a few months ago and decided to listen to the album “Good at Falling.”

“I just felt like listening to the whole album because I really like them,” Crouch said. “I love this album so much.”

“By Any Means” by ScHoolboy Q

Charles Clark, a junior from Gardner, listened to “By Any Means,” a rap song by ScHoolboy Q on the way to class.

“I like the vibe to it,” Clark said. “I like the energy of, ‘Get yours by any means.”  

“Show U Off” by Lud Foe featuring Lil Uzi Vert

This hip-hop and rap song by Lud Foe played on Boyce Harley’s phone while he was walking to class. Harley, a junior from San Pedro, California, said he likes the song because “it’s upbeat.”

“Boys” by Lizzo

Some students, like Justin Waite, a freshman from Blue Springs, Missouri, identify with the song they’re listening to. Waite said he likes “Boys” by Lizzo because he’s gay, so the song resonates with him.

“It’s a great song,” Waite said.

“Despite the Weather” by Kaytranada

Marfa Glazyrina, a junior from Leawood, listened to an electronic dance song while walking along Jayhawk Boulevard. The song randomly came up on her Spotify’s shuffle.

“It just has a good vibe,” Glazyrina said. “I like the beat of it.”

Click below for the full University Daily Tunes Spotify playlist. 

If you have a song you’d like to recommend, let us know on Twitter at @KansanNews or @RylieKoester.