Secret Life of Pets 2

After the controversy of Louis C.K.’s sexual harassment allegations coming out, comedian Patton Oswalt will be taking over as Max.

It’s going to be a slower weekend at the box office, but it’s the summer season so there are big releases nonetheless. This week in theaters there are two wide releases: The Secret Life of Pets 2 and X-Men: Dark Phoenix.

The Secret Life of Pets 2

A follow-up to the surprise hit that was the original, The Secret Life of Pets 2 will feature the same dog, Max, but with a new voice. After the controversy of Louis C.K.’s sexual harassment allegations coming out, comedian Patton Oswalt will be taking over as Max.

The story follows Max and his friends adjusting to a new life in the countryside after his owner gets married and starts a family. While things are rocky at first for Max, things start to stabilize when he meets a gruff farm dog named Rooster (Harrison Ford).

Although early reviews are not as positive as they were for the original, critics are still saying that it’s a good sequel and is fun for the whole family to enjoy. Early box office projections are agreeing, saying it should take home $60 million domestically, beating out its opposition in the United States and Canada.

X-Men: Dark Phoenix

Dark Phoenix is the official end to the X-Men series under Fox, and early reviews are saying that instead of going out with a bang, it goes out with a whimper.

The story follows Jean Grey (Sophie Turner) being hit by a cosmic force while out on a rescue mission in space. This force gives her increasingly strong but unstable powers that, combined with her own personal demons, lead to her spiraling out of control. The X-Men family must then band together to take down one of their own if they are to save the planet from one if its greatest threats ever — Dark Phoenix.

With it now taking the title as the lowest rated X-Men movie of all time, it seems fitting that another studio will now be taking over to do something new with the mutants. This also shows in early box office projections only expecting $50 million to $55 million domestically in the first few days, which is fairly low for a movie with a $200 million filming budget. Their saving grace will be overseas ticket sales, which are looking to be closer to $120 million in its opening weekend.

Other Notable Releases:

Framing John DeLorean (Sundance Selects)

I Am Mother (Netflix)