Wonder Fair

Free art work by Nathanial Russell and informational zines sit on a table at Wonder Fair.

On Friday, the three-in-one art gallery, design shop and art supply store Wonder Fair on 841 Massachusetts St. opened its doors as a safe space for those looking to join together away from the Inauguration Day events. 

Wonder Fair offered attendees free zines, posters and other materials that gave tips on how to stay positive despite political unrest. There were t-shirts available to screen press artwork created by artist Nathaniel Russell. The artwork displayed a fist with the words “Resist Fear” above the fist and “Assist Love,” below.

Wonder Fair is owned by three artists; Meredith Moore, Paul DeGeorge and Henry Schneiderman. Both DeGeorge and Schneiderman made sure to screen print many copies of Nathaniel Russell’s artwork onto various colored posters for those coming in.

The three owners are in no way new to politics, they said, as they have regularly used Wonder Fair to assist Lawrence residents find their voice artistically.

Moore said that Wonder Fair will assist those who strongly oppose mainstream politics in printing their zines when no large company will. Zines are published by the authors aiming to entertain and bring light to current issues in society.

The zines offered at the event illustrated ways in which the people could deal with and try to control a Trump presidency. One of the zines, titled "Indivisible: A Practical Guide for Resisting the Trump Agenda," discusses the Tea Party's success in stopping former President Barack Obama during his presidency and how the same plan could be used to stop President Trump.

Moore said she believes that print media has always played a large role within politics, whether it is creating awareness for an issue, or bringing together a group sharing a common goal.

“We always want to be involved with our community,” Moore said. “Being involved with our community means paying attention to and caring about the politics that affect all of our customers and us.”

A message Moore believes in is simple: in order to better the community as a whole, Lawrence residents should reach out to surrounding communities and share the progressive ideals this community can offer. That message would allow those who share the same ideals in less progressive communities to know that they are not alone and begin to speak out.

DeGeorge creates music as part of his band Harry and the Potters, which speaks on the political climate. The band performs Harry Potter-themed songs, but have recently taken a political stance with its music.

DeGeorge said that the group brought back music they had written during the Bush administration, citing the need to take a stance and come together. He compared the current political climate to the beginning of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows,” when Voldemort rises back into power.

“The ministry has fallen, the resistance has to go underground,” DeGeorge said.

Many customers came through the shop to both buy art supplies and check out the table in which Wonder Fair offered their helpful materials. One of these customers was Lawrence native Angela Howell.

Howell attended the event because she was on a journey through Lawrence to do things that made her feel happy. She heard that there would be art offered from Adam Gnade, an author and zine producer.

Howell said the amount of people that came together on inauguration day at Wonder Fair and all around Lawrence in order to display their post-inauguration emotions was a great sign.

“You have to have hope,” Howell said. “If you let despair take over you’re useless.”