MBB vs WV.jpg

Freshman guard Ochai Agbaji grabs the ball to throw it in in the first half at home against West Virginia on Saturday, Feb. 16. The Jayhawks beat the Moutaineers 78-53.

Freshman men’s basketball player Ochai Agbaji may be number 30 on the court, but he is number one in every Jayhawk’s heart. With offers from schools like Texas A&M, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Oregon, and Oklahoma State, the Kansas City native turned those down when Bill Self extended him a coveted spot on KU’s team. Basketball is in Agbaji’s blood. Both his mom and dad played at the collegiate level, which fueled his passion for the game. With dreams of going to the NBA, the 6-foot-5 guard started in 16 games this past season. Bill Self was quoted saying, “He’s not going to be good, he’s going to be great.”

Smiling from ear to ear, Agbaji sat down with me to answer some questions so that we could get to know him off the court. Here is what he said.

My favorite restaurant in Lawrence is 23rd street, and I get the Bill Self. I like mac and cheese, but really anything with buffalo sauce. The mixture is really good.

My celebrity crush has to be Rihanna. I just think everything about her is really attractive and I like her music.

When I’m not playing basketball, I listen to music and watch TV. I like listening to rap and hip-hop. My favorite artist is Chief Keef. When I watch TV, I watch Family Guy, The Office, or Greys Anatomy. Michael is my favorite character on the office. Oh, wait, definitely Dwight. 

The most influential person in my life is my older sister. Through high school she pushed me to be better. She always challenges me, and still does. I look up to her for what she has accomplished. Having that person in your life is good.

My favorite college basketball team to play is Kentucky. That game is big because they are really good. It’s such a hyped up game so I think that made everything fun.

The number one thing on my bucket list is going skydiving. I’ve always thought it would be cool to just be falling and see all the land from up there. 

The best advice I’ve ever been given is to never settle for less. My dad told me to always stay humble and never stop working because if you do you get complacent. I just always think about that.

If I could live anywhere in the world, I would live in France. I like the French language, and I would learn it so that I could live there. I just think everything is cooler over there.

Something people may not know about me is I have a really good memory. I can remember back to stuff that happened in past years, especially when something sparks it. 

The best gift I ever received was when my mom took me to Worlds of Fun for my birthday with a few of my friends. Later in the day we went to Power Play and it was one of the greatest days of my life. I had never done anything like that, and the whole entire day was awesome. For her to go out of her way and do that for me was cool.