Carl W. Lejuez was named the new dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, the University announced in a news release this morning. 

Lejuez, associate dean of research for the College of Behavioral and Social Sciences at the University of Maryland, will join the University in February 2016.

“I am truly excited to have a scholar of Carl’s caliber and capability joining the College,” Jeffery S. Vitter, provost and executive vice chancellor, said in the release. “His skill and insight will identify new opportunities and help lead the College to even greater prominence.”

The position has been held on an interim basis by geology professor Don Steeples since March, when the previous CLAS dean, Danny Anderson, left the University to become the president of Trinity University in San Antonio, according to the release.

Lejuez was selected from a group of three other candidates who gave presentations to University students, faculty and administration about their views for the future of the College.

“I am thrilled to have the opportunity to lead the College,” Lejuez said in the release. “KU embodies and excels in all aspects of the mission of a flagship state institution. The College is home to faculty members who contribute to exceptional educational and research programs that are among the best in the nation.”

According to the release, Lejuez is the founder and director of the Center for Addictions, Personality and Emotion Research at Maryland. He has also done research on mood and personality disorders and has applied his treatment strategies around the world, including in China and several South American countries.

The College offers more than 100 majors in various fields, including art, humanities, mathematics, linguistics and different sciences, according to the CLAS website.

“I’m extremely grateful to Don for his excellent contributions as interim dean during these past several months as well as to the search committee led by Professor of English Marta Caminero-Santangelo for their hard work,” Vitter said in the release.