crimsonandblue

Crimson+Blue vice presidential candidate Seth Wingerter speaks at the coalition meeting Tuesday, March 5. The coalition announced at a later meeting on March 26 more of its platforms for the upcoming election. 

Crimson+Blue introduced seven transit platforms in a coalition meeting Tuesday, March 26, which included platforms to expand SafeRide to parking lots on campus and open parking lot 90 to students on Fridays.

With only two weeks left until Student Senate elections, Crimson+Blue is working to solidify platforms that are realistic and impactful on the student experience.

“We don’t want to run on empty promises,” campaign manager Zach Thomason said. “We want to ensure that all of our platforms are feasible.”

The Student Senate advisor for transit believed each platform the coalition wanted to run on was at least somewhat feasible, Thomason said. This prompted Crimson+Blue to decide to run on seven separate transit platforms it hopes to accomplish during presidential candidate Tiara Floyd’s prospective administration:

• Improve campus infrastructure, such as working with the University of Kansas to fill potholes across campus
  • Students won’t be ticketed on Fridays in Parking Lot 90, which is located near Capitol Federal Hall and the Ambler Student Recreation Center
  • Student employee permits
  • Expand SafeRide's pick-up/drop-off points to parking lots on campus
  • Provide transportation services from Counseling and Psychological Services to Bert Nash Community Health Center for students who get referred to Bert Nash
  • Free student organization parking at the Kansas Union during organized events
  • VeoRide Scooters

“There’s a lot of things that a coalition stands for during its time,” Thomason said. “Crimson+Blue has really synthesized all of those things that previous coalitions have stood for and has developed platforms that not only are buzzworthy, but they’re also impactful.”

Floyd was not in attendance at the meeting. Thomason said Floyd had a prior commitment and was unable to attend.

After cementing their transit platforms, Crimson+Blue members are working on their campaigning efforts in the weeks leading up to the election, which takes place on April 10 and 11. The coalition will begin tabling next week on Wescoe Beach in a push to get University students to vote.

Crimson+Blue’s focus for the election is to ensure high voter turnout by reaching out to multiple student groups on campus and to make sure the coalition represents every student, vice presidential candidate Seth Wingerter said.

“We fully believe in giving every Jayhawk a voice,” Wingerter said.

The coalition plans to run an election on diversity, accessibility and inclusion for all students, and it still plans to work hard to connect with students despite being the only coalition running, Communications Director Liza Overton said.

“Interacting with students and hearing personal stories gives us even more reason to work toward our goals,” Overton said. “Connecting faces to the issues we address is so important, and we’re all very excited to start doing that as we get closer to the actual election.”