Men's basketball vs. Long Beach State (copy)

Freshman Josh Jackson and sophomore Lagerald Vick attempt to block a shot by Long Beach State's Javonntie Jackson on Nov. 29. Kansas won 91-61.

Two Kansas men's basketball players — freshman guard Josh Jackson and sophomore guard Lagerald Vick — have been linked to an alleged car vandalism incident in early December, sources told the Kansas City Star.

The Star reported that Jackson and Vick are persons of interest in the investigation, however, the Lawrence Police Department would not corroborate that statement.

The Kansan asked Sgt. Amy Rhoads of the Lawrence Police Department if Vick and Jackson were listed as witnesses, persons of interest or suspects.

“The Lawrence Police Department will neither confirm or deny the identity of any suspects in this case,” Sgt. Rhoads said in an email.

When asked if there was a suspect in the investigation, Sgt. Rhoads said that the investigation is ongoing and there is no further information that the LPD can release at this time.

The woman who reported the alleged vandalism is a Kansas student athlete, according to a police report obtained by the Kansan.

"We are not going to make any comment right now related to this incident," Jim Marchiony, the associate athletic director of public affairs, told the Kansan an email.

Kansas Athletics told the Kansan Thursday evening that they are aware of the investigation.

According to the first page of the police report, the alleged incident occurred on the morning of Dec. 9 outside the Yacht Club, a bar on 530 Wisconsin St. A car was vandalized and the damage was estimated to be $2,991, which constitutes a felony count of vandalism, according to the police report obtained by the Kansan.

If the damage estimates are between $1,000 and $25,000, the charge is a severity level nine nonperson felony.

Officers are still investigating the incident and are continuing to add to the police report. Only the first page of the report has been released so far. The property damage estimate of $2,991 was added to the report on Feb. 2.

Sgt. Rhoads deferred questions about charges to the Douglas County District Attorney’s Office.

Chandler Boese contributed to this report.

— Edited by Casey Brown 

Tags