Nick Kehrwald

Nick Kehrwald has accepted a position as the associate dean of Student Affairs at the University of Kentucky, said Jay Blanton, executive director of public relations at the University of Kentucky. Kehrwald was the director of Student Conduct and Community Standards at the University.

Blanton said Kehrwald was hired within the last few weeks, but the University of Kentucky had been searching for someone to take the position since before the fall semester. Kehrwald will start at Kentucky on Dec. 1.

“He had a great amount of experience in student affairs and working with code of student conduct. He brings a legal background with a law degree,” Blanton said about why Kehrwald was chosen.

Blanton said Kehrwald’s responsibilities will be similar to his job at the University where he oversaw the disciplinary process of student conduct.

Kehrwald sought out the position at Kentucky in late July and accepted the opportunity in early October, according to Erinn Barcomb-Peterson, director for news and media relations.

According to the Student Affairs website, three candidates will be interviewed from Dec. 1-5 to fill Kehrwald’s position.

The search committee members include:

Mary Chappell, director of recreation services

Maggie Young, president of the KU Panhellenic Association and a senior in Chi Omega from Olathe

Amy Long, associate director for Greek Life Programs

Josh Jones, Student Conduct & Community Standards coordinator

James Anguiano, captain of Office of Public Safety

Jane Tuttle, assistant vice provost for Student Success, supervises Kehrwald’s position and will act as hiring authority, Barcomb-Peterson said. She said his work will be divided between Tuttle and Jones until a candidate is hired.

Kehrwald was previously criticized for the handling of two sexual assault cases at the University, one in October 2013 and one in November 2013.