Jazzhaus put a sign with a heart on its door and wall announcing its temporary closure due to COVID-19

The Jazzhaus announces its temporary closure with a sign out front citing COVID-19. Restaurants and bars in Douglas County are ordered to close through the remainder of March in an attempt to limit gatherings of 10 or more people.

In an attempt to slow the growth of the COVID-19 outbreak, Douglas County Health Officer Thomas Marcellino prohibited public gatherings of more than 10 people and ordered all restaurants, bars, dining facilities, taverns, night clubs and movie theaters to close through April 1 yesterday afternoon. 

Though all other businesses involved in the order must close completely, restaurants can continue to provide drive-through and delivery services. Johnson County and Wyandotte County recently ordered similar restrictions, according to a press release.

Many Lawrence restaurants have already announced closures or limited services, such as drive-through or carryout options only.

“It is incredibly important during this time for people to limit their gatherings to less than 10 people as we try to flatten the curve of the spread of this virus and for people to avoid nonessential community engagement and nonessential trips out of their homes,” Marcellino said in the press release.

The limitation of 10-person gatherings makes exceptions for government and judicial functions, healthcare facilities, private business operations, religious and faith-based activities, weddings and funerals.

Kansas has 21 confirmed cases of COVID-19, and Douglas County has one at time of publication.

Edited by Cami Koons