Ballots

Kansas Secretary of State released final early voting numbers Monday morning. In-person ballots nearly doubled this year compared to 2014 midterms. 

The Kansas Secretary of State’s office reported Monday morning that as of Nov. 5, the number of ballots received for tomorrow’s midterm election has surpassed the count for the same day in 2014.

In a series of tweets, the office said as of 8 a.m. on Monday, election offices had mailed out over 194,000 ballots compared to about 139,000 ballots mailed out by the same day in 2014.

As of this morning, 139,483 mail-in ballots had been returned, compared to 104,621 in 2014.

Voter turnout is expected to break records this year. Last week, the Kansan reported the Douglas County Elections Office had mailed out a record of 12,146 advance ballots, more than double the amount it mailed out in 2014.

In-person early voting has also risen this year compared to the 2014 midterm. The Secretary of State’s office reported as of Monday morning, 234,745 ballots had been cast in person, compared to 107,621 on the same day in 2014.

Students in particular have been taking advantage of voting opportunities. The University’s Multicultural Resource Center saw a number of Douglas County voters last week for early voting.

“I came out specifically because I know I’m going to be very busy on election day, so I wanted to get it done early,” said Collin Bruey, a senior from Wichita, who voted on Wednesday at the Multicultural Resource Center. “I came here to vote because I want my voice to be heard in the shaping of our state and our country.”

In terms of party affiliation of returned ballots, 52,947 were Democrats, 62,327 were Republican, 23,557 were unaffiliated and 651 were Libertarians.

75,093 of ballots cast in person were Democrats, 122,553 were Republicans, 1,231 were Libertarians, and 35,868 were unaffiliated.

Sophia Belshe contributed to this report.