Excessive Heat Graphic

A heat warning issued Wednesday in Lawrence will continue through Saturday. The National Weather Service has provided guidance on precautionary actions.

An excessive heat warning, which was originally issued for Lawrence Wednesday, will continue through 8 p.m. Saturday, according to the National Weather Service Topeka.  

The heat index will rise to between 108 and 114 degrees today and will continue through Saturday with a high of 98 degrees, according to the National Weather Service. Temperatures reached 100 degrees on Thursday, which was recorded as the hottest day of the year. 

“Heat-related illnesses are possible for those spending a prolonged amount of time outdoors or those who are susceptible to heat such as young and elderly,” the National Weather Service said in an excessive heat warning issued Friday morning. 

The National Weather Service advises people to keep hydrated, check on others without air conditioning and limit strenuous outdoor activities.

Individuals are also recommended to watch out for symptoms of excessive heat exposure such as nausea or vomiting, excessive sweating, rapid pulse and losing consciousness. 

Temperatures are expected to lower on Sunday as a cold front moves into the Midwest.