Strong Hall

The Office of Graduate Studies is looking to expand their recruitment and retention rates of minority students.  

The University’s Chief Procurement Officer has left Kansas after spending the better part of his career in Lawrence.

Barry Swanson, an alumnus, began working at the University of Kentucky at the end of June as its Chief Procurement Officer. CPOs, as they’re usually known, are typically in charge of all of a university’s purchasing.

At the University, Swanson was the CPO and associate vice provost for campus operations. He’d also served as director of purchasing and associate comptroller since he started at the University in 1998.

Erinn Barcomb-Peterson, the director for news and media relations at the University, said via email Wednesday that Shannon Nelson was now acting in the role of CPO. She did not specify whether this was on an interim or permanent basis, but a campus webpage lists him as the “associate vice provost.”

In a University of Kentucky press release, Swanson said it was an honor to serve in his new role.

“I look forward to working with the campus community to support their efforts," Swanson said in the release.

Swanson had also served on the Midwest Higher Education Compact and Kansas’ State Use Committee. He’s earned two bachelor’s degree from the University of Kansas and a law degree from Washburn University in Topeka.