Laura Kelly speaks into the microphone at a podium

Kansas Gov. Laura Kelly issued a state-wide stay-at-home order to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus.

Kansas Gov. Laura Kelly issued a stay-at-home order for the state Saturday, March 28, in an attempt to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus. 

The order will go into effect Monday, March 30, and will end on April 19.

“Our projections continue to suggest that the number of confirmed positive coronavirus cases in Kansas could reach as much as 900 over the next week,” Kelly said in a press conference. 

People are still allowed to leave their homes to get essential items, take care of family or exercise under this order. Essential businesses are also able to remain open. 

“My job as governor is to keep Kansans safe and ensure the state deploys every tool at its disposal to adapt and align response efforts with emerging best practices,” Kelly said in the conference. “That’s why we’re taking this step today.”

Douglas County issued a stay-at-home order which went into effect on March 24, and will remain in effect until at least April 23.

While no fines are being given to those who do not abide by the order, the state is encouraging Kansans to follow it. The Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce praised Kelly for her executive order and asked Missouri Gov. Mike Parson to issue a similar order.

This story is developing. It will be updated as more information is available.