Sigma Phi Epsilon

The Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity has reportedly been suspended while the University investigates hazing allegations.

Three fraternities at the University have been suspended since the semester began, according to reports from The Kansas City Star.

Sigma Phi Epsilon, Sigma Alpha Epsilon and Delta Upsilon have ceased operations while the University investigates reports of hazing.

“On Jan. 29, 2018, Delta Upsilon International Fraternity placed its Kansas Chapter on an emergency suspension after receiving allegations the chapter violated Fraternity policy,” Ashley Martin, director of communications for Delta Upsilon, told the Kansan in an email. “At this time, we are working with the university to investigate.”

According to the Star, the KU chapter of Sigma Alpha Epsilon was suspended on Jan. 19 due to allegations of hazing, which violate the fraternity's health and safety policies. The fraternity will remain on probation until Jan. 31, 2020. The Kansan was unable to reach the fraternity for comment.

Sigma Phi Epsilon is currently under investigation by the University for hazing allegations. Andrew Parrish, strategic communications director for the national organization, said the University asked the chapter to cease operations in order to cooperate with the investigation.

“Student safety is the number one priority for Sigma Phi Epsilon, and hazing has no place in our, or any organization,” Parrish said. “We expect all of our students to behave according to both their university’s policies and ours, and we work with our university partners to ensure that students and chapters are held accountable to our high standards.”

The University declined to comment on any pending investigations. It is unknown what the exact violations are at this time.