Murphy Hall Courtyard

A peaceful place to sit and listen to musicians practicing, the Murphy Hall courtyard is the perfect place for a picnic.

At the University of Kansas, there are a multitude of beautiful spots where every student spends time, such as Wescoe Beach, Potter Lake, Anschutz Library and The Campanile. But the University is full of many beautiful spots that few visit. Everyone has their own secret places on campus that seem to belong to them, but these spots deserve recognition. The hidden gems of campus deserve to be seen by all students.

Murphy Hall Courtyard

The courtyard inside Murphy Hall is by far the best place for a picnic at the University. You can sit, eat your lunch and listen as the sound of musicians practicing fills the air accompanied by the sound of running water from the fountain.

“It’s like the first area you see during auditions, and the last area you see when you graduate,” said senior music therapy student Anna Menendez. “And in between you have friendships, moments of peace, heartbreak and breakdowns.”

Stairwell of Haworth Hall

A chair sits on the patio outside the stairwell of Haworth Hall.

Stairwell of Haworth Hall

On every floor of Haworth Hall, between the stairs and the exit, there is a small patio overlooking the recreation center and Watkins Health Services. On the eighth floor of Haworth, in the highest patio, there is a chair that has been set out since at least 2017. This well-hidden spot remains one of the best views of south Lawrence that you can find on campus.

Watson Library Stacks

A window in the Watson Stacks overlooking south Lawrence.

Watson Library Stacks

An underrated study spot that rarely sees visitors, the Watson stacks are the perfect place to cram for tests. The halls are quiet, the desks are private, the room is deserted and, if you need a study break, there are windows that overlook one of the best views on campus. On most of the old desks you can find scribbled notes from long ago declaring love or simply saying something nasty.

Danforth Chapel

The stained glass windows of Danforth Chapel

Danforth Chapel

Always open and always peaceful, the chapel is the perfect place to sit and meditate after a long day of studying. Dedicated in 1946, the Chapel has served as home for thousands of marriages over its years at the University. The stained glass windows light the dark chapel in beautiful blue light. Rarely visited, the chapel is one of the best places to go to get away from the noise of campus life.

Prairie Acre

The view from Prairie Acre 

Prairie Acre

Nestled behind Blake Hall is a field of wild prairie grass that has been on campus since 1932. The patch of wild grass and flowers is meant to showcase the diversity of Kansas plant-life. After a study found a number of the species in the area had diminished, Prairie Acre was restored in 2014 with newly planted native species.

A relaxing garden for studying or eating lunch, Prairie Acre is all around one of the most peaceful areas on campus. And it also overlooks Lawrence, a perfect place to watch the sun set.

Marvin Hall

A wall of green inside Marvin Hall's lecture room

Marvin Hall

Although every architecture and design student has passed through Marvin, most students are oblivious to one of the most beautiful exhibits on campus. Right as you walk in, there is art and furniture created by students and professors. Even the lecture halls of Marvin Hall find a way to captivate the crowd with a wall of live plants lining the back of the lecture hall.