Change in Architecture Program 5

Marvin Hall houses the School of Architecture and Design.

Mahbub Rashid, associate dean for research and graduate studies in the School of Architecture and Design, will become interim dean of the School, Interim Provost Carl Lejuez announced in an email to students, staff and faculty Tuesday. 

Rashid will replace former dean Mahesh Daas, who left the University July 1 to become president of Boston Architectural College. 

“[Mahbub] understands the profound importance of collaborative research and creative endeavors to the school and the university,” Lejuez said in the email. “Mahbub is an expert on the structures of built form and space, intensive care unit design, and evidence-based healthcare design.”

Rashid also serves as the director of the master’s and doctoral programs in architecture. He’s been at the University since 2005. 

In addition to changes in the dean, during the spring semester, associate professor Joe Colistra became chair of the Department of Architecture and associate professor Jeremy Shellhorn became chair of the Department of Design. 

Mahbub also "plans to appoint a faculty representative committee to seek out support from school faculty and staff in order to expand the school’s outreach efforts during the transition period," according to the email. 

A permanent dean search will begin in the fall, Lejuez said in the email. 

“I know Mahbub and these individuals will work hard and support each other as they strive to serve students and advance their programs while continuing to raise the profile of the school,” Lejuez said.