stateofthecollege

Interim Dean Clarence Lang will leave the University by the end of the academic year, according to an email from Interim Provost Carl Lejuez. Lang addressed faculty and students at the third annual State of the College event for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences in September.

The interim dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and vice provost for diversity and equity will leave the University of Kansas following this academic year, an email from Interim Provost Carl Lejuez said. 

Clarence Lang, interim dean of the College, accepted a dean position at Penn State University. He will begin his new responsibilities as Dean of the College of Liberal Arts on July 1, according to the email. He will be replacing Penn State's Dean of the College of Liberal Arts, Susan Welch. 

Vice Provost of Diversity and Equity Jennifer Hamer will also leave the University after this academic year, the email said.

"Please join me in congratulating both Interim Dean Lang and Vice Provost Hamer, and wishing them good luck on this next stage in their careers," the email from Lejuez said.

Lejuez said in the email following spring break he'll announce the University's process moving forward to select an interim dean for the College and leadership for the Office of Diversity and Equity.

Lejuez said in an email in December 2018 the University was considering offering Lang a direct appointment to be the permanent dean of the College. Lang was offered the position permanently, but declined it in January. 

“I am honored to succeed Dean Susan Welch in this role, and I am thrilled at the opportunity to build on the rich legacy she has created in her commitment to producing lifelong learners, critically informed decision-makers, ethical decision-makers and fully rounded human beings,” Lang said in a news release from Penn State University. “I look forward to helping advance the University’s priorities in the arts and humanities, research excellence and digital innovation.”

This story is developing