Fraser-6.jpg

John Colombo is currently the interim vice chancellor for research and director of the Life Span Institute.

Interim Provost Carl Lejuez appointed John Colombo as interim dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Thursday afternoon in an email addressed to students, staff and faculty.

Colombo is currently the interim vice chancellor for research and director of the Life Span Institute.

“John is a proven leader and is skilled at stepping up during times of transition,” Lejuez said in the email. “During his 37 years at KU he has built a distinguished career and has developed environments that support the success of our students, staff and faculty.”

Lejuez sent out a request for nominations for the position after it was announced that current interim dean Clarence Lang would be leaving the University by the end of the year. Lejuez said he was encouraged to see many responses to the request in the email sent out Thursday afternoon.

“I have great confidence that John will be a wise, supportive, and collaborative leader of the College as we work to advance the university,” Lejuez said in the email.

Lejuez and Director of News and Media Relations Erinn Barcomb-Peterson were not available for comment at the time of publication.