Campus Flowers (copy) dei vp

Jennifer Ng, School of Education associate professor, will serve as the University of Kansas' interim vice provost for diversity, equity and inclusion until June 2020. 

Jennifer Ng, School of Education associate professor, has been appointed the University of Kansas' interim vice provost of diversity and equity, Interim Provost Carl Lejuez announced Tuesday in an email addressed to students, staff and faculty.

Ng was promoted to a full professor in the School of Education beginning in fall 2019. She served as the first president of the Asian and Asian American Faculty Staff Council in 2014, and was a member of the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Advisory Board in 2016-2018.

“I believe Dr. Ng brings exceptional scholarly credentials and experience to this role that will continue KU’s progress in building a more welcoming and supportive university,” Lejuez said in the email.

This past year she was named director of academic inclusion, where she helps students navigate specific concerns related to diversity, equity and inclusion. She reports to the vice provost of diversity and equity while working with the Office of Multicultural Affairs and the Center for Teaching Excellence.

“The many topics she’s chosen to investigate over her career illustrate her broad preparation and foundational understanding that make her an excellence choice for this transitional role in our Office of Diversity & Equity,” Lejuez said.

Lejuez sent out a request for nominations for the position after it was announced that Jennifer Hamer, the previous vice provost of the Office of Diversity and Equity would be leaving the University by the end of the year.  

“I’m very confident she will be able to build upon the momentum established by Vice Provost Jennifer Hamer,” Lejuez said in the email.

Ng will take over the role at the end of the semester for a term that will last through June 2020, the announcement said.

Ng could not be reached for comment by time of press.