budget conversation may 1

Interim Provost Carl Lejuez shares the specifics of the University's new budget model during a budget conversation on Wednesday, May 1. The plan is set to officially be implemented in FY 2021.

Interim Provost Carl Lejuez shared the specific details of the new budget model with faculty, staff and students during his latest budget conversation on Wednesday, May 1.

The new budget model, which will be implemented in fiscal year 2021, is a hybrid model.

It partially bases how much money academic units and academic service units will be allocated on how many students are enrolled in a class, and whether those units are in line with the University’s priorities — like diversity and equity, research and more.

When Lejuez announced the University of Kansas would be rolling out the new model in the fall, only the bare bones of the model were unveiled.

Faculty, staff and students have been asking Lejuez for the more specifics of how the University would be evaluating the component of the model that evaluates units on whether they are following the University’s priorities.

“It’s important to know that this is not just something that came up in conversation,” Lejuez said. “In any given week, deans, vice provosts and directors of our units are talking through the important issues. Every unit has somebody at the table.”

Academic service units will have 65% of their money allocated based off student credit hour, 20% will be determined by the research that unit produces, 10% will be determined by student success, and 5% will be determined by other strategic priorities.

The other strategic priorities for academic units include diversity, equity and inclusion; faculty and staff development; collaboration (internal, local and global); fundraising and alumni engagement; and efficiency.

Each of these areas receives one percent of the overall academic unit allocations.

The portion of the budget model based off student credit hour will be even further divided: 75% of money goes to the academic unit instructing the course, and the other 25% goes to the academic unit of the student’s major.

budget conversation may 1

A member of the Graduate Teaching Assistants Coalition asks Interim Provost Carl Lejuez a question during the budget conversation on Wednesday, May 1. The group formed in response to what it perceived as a lack of transparency from the administration on budget issues.

Courses taught by graduate students will be weighted higher to support the higher cost of instruction, Lejuez said.

The student success component will be based off the degrees awarded by each unit, the time it takes for a student to obtain a degree, the student’s placement post-graduation, teaching and mentoring quality, and efforts to expand learning outside of the class such as study abroad, research and internships. 

The 49% of unit allocations not going to academic units goes to academic support units.

Academic service units will have their money determined by whether they are meeting their individual units' full-service responsibilities. Each unit already has a set of goals it is supposed to meet annually.

Several questions during the question-and-answer portion of the presentation came from members of the Graduate Teaching Assistants Coalition. Members pushed for increased transparency and resources from administration.

“We felt this was necessary because some of your admins have become increasingly hostile to public records and union information requests,” one of the GTAs said.

The budget for FY20 will use the old model, but will serve as a shadow year for the new model. FY21 will be the first budget using the new model.

“This is not the final model. We’re open to revising things,” Lejuez said. “We’re open to continuing to talk through these things.”