Locker room interviews-2.jpg

Freshman guard Josh Jackson talks to the media on March 28 in Tulsa, Oklahoma. 

Kansas freshman guard Josh Jackson entered a not guilty plea to a charge of misdemeanor vandalism on Wednesday afternoon at his arraignment in Douglas County District Court.

Jackson and his lawyer Hatem Chahine plan to file for diversion on this charge by the end of Wednesday, they said during the arraignment.

The charge came from an incident of vandalism on Dec. 9 at the Yacht Club, a bar on 530 Wisconsin St. Jackson allegedly damaged the vehicle of a female athlete during an argument with her.

According to the affidavit from the Douglas County District Attorney’s Office, the female athlete threw a drink on sophomore guard Lagerald Vick inside the bar. Later in the night, Jackson and the female athlete allegedly got in an argument by her car, according to the affidavit. 

The original charge from the district attorney asserts that, while over $3,000 of damage was done to the athlete’s car, less than $1,000 of it could be attributed to Jackson. The charge suggests that another unidentified individual had damaged other areas of the car.

If the charge does go to trial, it will begin on May 24 at 1:30 p.m. If the trial occurs, it will not conflict with the NBA Draft Combine, in which Jackson is expected to attend. The NBA Draft Combine is from May 9-14 in Chicago.

Kansas coach Bill Self said in February that the “appropriate in-house discipline” was administered soon after the incident. Kansas Athletics has not released what that entailed, and Jackson was not suspended in relation to this charge.

"I know Josh has regrets from his actions in this incident," Self said in a February statement regarding the incident. "He and I both know he could have exercised better judgment for this avoidable situation, but I'm pleased with how he's accepted responsibility. This does not take away from the fact that he has been a great ambassador for this university. He will learn from this incident and be better for it."

In relation to the vandalism charge, Judge James George ordered Jackson to pay a $500 bond at the Douglas County Jail by Friday at 2 p.m. He will have to be fingerprinted and photographed at the jail as well.

Jackson has another unrelated court appearance this week. He has three citations for “striking an unattended vehicle, inattentive driving and improper backing,” and has his first appearance for those citations at Lawrence Municipal Court on Friday at 9 a.m.