Illustrated coronavirus cells fill the frame

Follow along this story as the Kansan updates information regarding the novel coronavirus. 

Latest

Updated May 28, 2:20 p.m.

Updated May 28, 2:20 p.m.

Kansas Athletics is set to implement across-the-board salary reductions and furloughs to make up for a budget shortfall, saving up to $1.15 million.

Kansas

Updated May 1, 6:16 p.m. 

Despite being closed due to Kansas stay-at-home orders, Lawrence bars, such as Bullwinkle's Bar and Brothers Bar and Grill, have taken to social media to stay connected with their audiences.

Updated April 14, 1: 10 p.m.

Two quilters are using their expertise and extra fabric to make protective face masks for essential workers and at-risk members of the community.

Updated April 14, 1:10 p.m. 

The city of Lawrence will receive $446,184 in Community Development Block Grants to ease the burden of the novel coronavirus' economic impact.

Updated April 10, 6:43 p.m.

Kansas Gov. Laura Kelly is suing a legislative council in the hopes of stopping them from overturning her executive order limiting church gatherings. 

Updated April 8, 5:26 p.m.

Amid the COVID-19 outbreak, grocery store employees at Dillons and Hy-Vee continue to work as employers are attempting to protect workers by taking cautionary measures and providing financial benefits. 

Updated April 6, 6:03 p.m. 

Lawrence local Allyson Aumiller sells secondhand and thrift store clothing in her online store, "Ace Vintage," and has seen more activity in the last few weeks due to stay-at-home orders for the community. 

Updated April 2, 3:08 a.m.

Small businesses around Lawrence — such as Wonder Fair, Jungle House and Love Garden Sounds — are adapting to local and state social distancing requirements by moving to online business models

Updated March 28, 3:54 p.m.

• Kansas Gov. Laura Kelly issued an executive order Saturday, March 28, asking people to stay home to prevent further spread of the novel coronavirus. The order will go into effect Monday, March 30, and will end on April 19.

Updated March 27, 5:46 p.m. 

The Lawrence Police Department announced in a press release that its first officer in the department tested positive for the coronavirus. LPD said the officer started limiting exposure to others once he started showing symptoms. 

Updated March 26, 10:38 p.m.

The University of Kansas donated around 20,000 RNA test kits, essential to the process of testing for COVID-19. The University acted after Gov. Laura Kelly requested the kits. 

Updated March 25, 11:43 a.m.

A Lawrence man describes what it is like to test positive for COVID-19 and the difficult process he went through to get his results.

Updated March 23, 5:36 p.m.

The Lawrence-Douglas County Public Health’s department announced the fifth case of coronavirus in Douglas county today. This is the first case of local transmission in Douglas county.

Updated March 23, 3:49 p.m.

Gov. Laura Kelly announced that she will be issuing an executive order that limits gatherings to a maximum of 10 people during a press conference on Monday, March 23. The executive order walks back Kelly's previous decision to limit gatherings to a maximum of 50 people.

Updated March 22, 8:53 p.m.

Douglas County has issued a "stay at home" order that begins Tuesday, March 24, and will require all county residents to stay at home except for trips to get essentials such as groceries, gas and pharmaceutical goods. 

Updated March 21, 5:32 p.m.

Two more cases of COVID-19 were detected in Douglas County, bringing the county’s total to three. Both individuals are in their 30s and had recently traveled out of the state.

Updated March 20, 3:22 p.m.

Lee Norman, secretary of the Kansas Department of Health and Environment, said Kansas will likely run low on tests for the novel coronavirus by Saturday, March 21, as the state is running nearly 200 tests per day. 

Updated March 19, 3:57 p.m. 

Kansas bars and liquor stores will be allowed to sell curbside alcohol to prevent business closures. 

Updated March 18, 11:25 a.m.

Gov. Laura Kelly issued a third executive order this morning, announcing that no Kansans will be evicted and no homes will be foreclosed until May 1.

Updated March 17, 7:17 p.m. 

Gov. Laura Kelly announced that all K-12 schools will be closed for the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year and all classes will go online. A task force will release recommendations for continuous learning, child care and meal plans tomorrow afternoon.

Updated March 17, 3:40 p.m. 

Douglas County confirms its first case of the novel coronavirus. The health department announced a man in his 20s who had recently been in Florida tested positive for COVID-19. The health department is monitoring anyone the patient is in contact with or who may have been exposed to the virus.

Updated March 16, 5:49 p.m.

Gov. Laura Kelly announced two executive orders and three new cases of the novel coronavirus in Kansas. The executive orders ban gatherings of over 50 people and suspend utility disconnects until April 15.

March 15

Gov. Laura Kelly recommends all K-12 schools in Kansas to stay closed for the upcoming week

University of Kansas

Updated May 28, 2:28 p.m.

Chancellor Douglas Girod announced that the University of Kansas anticipates a $120 million loss of revenue in the upcoming fiscal year. Also, Provost Barbara Bichelmeyer formed 10 work groups to address the challenges the University faces.

Updated May 21, 12:11 p.m.

Chancellor Douglas Girod and Provost Barbara Bichelmeyer updated a five-phase plan to reopen on-campus operations. Also, Girod estimated an 8% to 10% decrease in student enrollment due to the coronavirus pandemic. 

Updated May 1, 6:16 p.m.

Chancellor Douglas Girod and Provost Barbara Bichelmeyer announced that the University of Kansas will roll out a five-phase plan to reopen on-campus operations by fall. 

Updated April 20, 1:23 p.m.

The department of chemistry at the University of Kansas donated protective goggles and gloves to various public health organizations after the COVID-19 outbreak halted in-person classes and nonessential research. 

Updated April 20, 1:23 p.m.

The Spencer Museum launched an online version of the museum to make art more accessible during the quarantine lockdown.

Updated April 8, 5:26 p.m. 

Free Staters, a coalition running in the 2020 Student Senate election, is raising money through Venmo donations to create a fund to help Lawrence businesses affected by the novel coronavirus pandemic. 

Updated April 6, 6:03 p.m.

The University of Kansas will offer students with spring 2020 parking passes a partial credit for those who will return next semester or a partial refund for those who will not. 

Updated April 2, 12:09 p.m. 

The University of Kansas announced Thursday in an email that it will postpone commencement until late summer or early fall in an attempt to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus.

Updated April 2, 3:08 a.m. 

The NCAA has ruled in favor of giving student athletes in spring sports an extra year of eligibility; however, the motion does not include winter sports as most of their regular seasons had finished.

Updated March 30, 10:50 p.m. 

University of Kansas students have until April 17 to opt for credit/no credit for the spring 2020 term. However, KU spokesperson Erinn Barcomb-Peterson suggests students wait to make the change as the online system can't handle a massive influx of requests yet. The system will be prepared in the coming days, Barcomb-Peterson said. 

Updated March 27, 4:25 p.m.

Some professors with discussions and labs said they are struggling to transition their content online, given the rapid period of change in which they were asked to completely alter their classroom format.

Updated March 26, 10:40 p.m. 

The University of Kansas' Counseling and Psychological Services has moved appointments to be conducted over the telephone

Updated March 18, 4:51 p.m. 

Watkins Health Services will remain open to KU students for the spring semester and offer coronavirus testing for patients showing symptoms. 

Updated March 17, 2:12 p.m.

All University of Kansas classes are moving online for the rest of the semester and there will be a limited on-campus presence. Previously, university officials planned to assess the situation weekly to determine if it was safe to return to in-person classes.

Updated March 16, 5:49 p.m.

Student Senate hopes to allocate $50,000 to an emergency fund for students who are affected by the coronavirus. 

March 14

KU recreation facilities and libraries are closed until March 27. The Spencer Museum of Art is closed until March 31.

March 13

The Kansan is suspending print but will continue with typical content and coronavirus coverage online. Read the letter from the editor for more.

March 12

The NCAA canceled conference tournaments and all men’s and women’s remaining sports championships, including March Madness. Kansas men’s basketball was the top-ranked team in the Associated Press poll.

March 11

Professors are spending this week transitioning their courses to an online format while in-person classes are suspended. Online courses will begin March 23. 

March 5

KU students studying abroad have been told to pack their bags. Read a KU sophomore’s firsthand experience here.

State numbers

Updated May 21, 12:03 p.m.

Updated May 5, 7:23 a.m.

Updated May 1, 6:16 p.m.

Updated April 25, 7:51 p.m.

Updated April 20, 1:16 p.m.

Updated April 14, 1:06 p.m.

Updated April 10, 6:43 p.m.

Updated April 8, 5:20 p.m. 

Updated April 6, 5:56 p.m.

Updated April 3, 12:33 p.m.

Updated April 2, 3 a.m. 

Updated March 30, 9:17 p.m.

Updated March 30, 12:37 a.m.

• 319 positive cases in 35 counties
  • Six deaths
  • 4,194 negative tests

Updated March 28, 3:55 p.m.

Updated March 27, 4:29 p.m. 

Updated March 26, 10:45 p.m.

• 168 positive cases in 24 counties (Bourbon, Butler, Cherokee, Crawford, Doniphan, Douglas, Franklin, Jackson, Jefferson, Johnson, Leavenworth, Linn, Lyon, Mitchell, Morris, Neosho, Pottawatomie, Reno, Riley, Sedgwick, Shawnee, Sumner, Woodson, Wyandotte)
  • Three deaths
  • 2,869 negative tests

Updated March 25, 4:37 p.m.

• 126 positive cases in 20 counties (Johnson, Wyandotte, Butler, Franklin, Douglas, Leavenworth, Cherokee, Jackson, Linn, Morris, Sedgwick, Riley, Reno, Mitchell, Bourbon, Doniphan, Pottawatomie, Woodson, Crawford, Neosho)
  • Three deaths

Updated March 25, 1:29 a.m.

• 98 positive cases in 18 counties (Johnson, Wyandotte, Butler, Franklin, Douglas, Leavenworth, Cherokee, Jackson, Linn, Morris, Sedgwick, Riley, Reno, Mitchell, Bourbon, Doniphan, Pottawatomie, Woodson)

Updated March 22, 8:56 p.m. 

• 64 positive cases in 14 counties (Johnson, Wyandotte, Butler, Franklin, Douglas, Leavenworth, Cherokee, Jackson, Linn, Morris, Sedgwick, Riley, Reno, Mitchell)

Updated March 21, 5:29 p.m.

• 55 postitive cases in 14 counties (Johnson, Wyandotte, Butler, Franklin, Douglas, Leavenworth, Cherokee, Jackson, Linn, Morris, Sedgwick, Riley, Reno, Mitchell)

Updated March 20, 3:24 p.m. 

• 44 positive cases in 11 counties (Johnson, Wyandotte, Butler, Franklin, Douglas, Leavenworth, Cherokee, Jackson, Linn, Morris, Sedgwick)

Updated March 19, 3:54 p.m.

• 34 positive cases in 10 counties (Johnson, Wyandotte, Butler, Franklin, Douglas, Leavenworth, Cherokee, Jackson, Linn, Morris)

Updated March 18, 4:48 p.m.

• 21 positive cases in six counties (Johnson, Wydandotte, Butler, Franklin, Douglas, Leavenworth) according to the Kansas Department of Health and Environment

Updated March 17, 3:52 p.m.

Updated March 16, 5:49 p.m.

• 11 positive cases in four counties (Johnson, Wyandotte, Butler, Franklin)
  • One death in Wyandotte County
  • 234 negative tests*
  • 4.7% of all Kansas tests came back positive*
  • Zero cases reported at the University

*Numbers from press conferences and press releases from the office of Gov. Kelly

This is a developing story and will be updated as more information becomes available.