Kobach Senate Announcement

Former Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach announced a campaign for U.S. Senate in a speech to supporters in Leavenworth, KS.

Kris Kobach, former Kansas secretary of state, launched a campaign for U.S. Senate Monday.

Kobach filed paperwork with the Federal Election Commission, creating a campaign committee to run for the Republican nomination. Kobach misspelled his first name as “Chris” on the original filing, but the campaign corrected the spelling error about an hour later.

"This is not a time for a quiet senator,” Kobach said in a speech to supporters in Leavenworth. “It’s not time for a senator who wants to make everybody happy."

The seat Kobach is running for is currently held by Republican Sen. Pat Roberts. Roberts, who has served in the Senate since 1997, announced his retirement in January. 

Kobach ran for governor of Kansas in 2018 but was defeated by current Gov. Laura Kelly. Some Republicans have expressed concern that Kobach will be defeated again.

“If Kobach were to be the primary nominee, significant out-of-state money would pour into the hands of democrats to take advantage of his ineffective campaign strategies,” said Kansas Senate Majority Leader Jim Denning in a statement. “We cannot afford to repeat his mistakes and hand another gift to the democrats.”

Democrats running for the same seat include former U.S. attorney for Kansas Barry Grissom and former U.S. Rep. Nancy Boyda, who have both launched campaigns.