Akinlolu Oju

Starting Aug. 26, Akinlolu Ojo will oversee the Kansas City, Salina and Wichita campuses for the School of Medicine.

Akinlolu Ojo, associate vice president for clinical research and global health initiatives at the University of Arizona in Tucson, Arizona, has been named executive dean of the University of Kansas School of Medicine, the school announced in a press release Monday. 

Starting Aug. 26, Ojo will oversee the Kansas City, Salina and Wichita campuses for the School of Medicine.

"I look forward to joining hands with the entire KU Medical Center community to advance the important missions of the KU School of Medicine,” Ojo said in the release. “I am confident that our concerted efforts and focused collaboration with numerous stakeholders will accelerate discoveries in precision medicine and population health that will improve the health and well-being of the people of the great state of Kansas."

Ojo’s clinical interests are chronic kidney disease, health disparities and kidney transplantation.

Ojo will replace Robert Simari, executive vice chancellor for the School of Medicine, who was appointed in 2017 and served as executive dean while a national search took place. 

"Dr. Ojo's diverse and rich background and experience in clinical care and research made him the ideal candidate to lead our medical school,” Simari said in the release.