EMPORIA, Kan. — The University’s draft policy for implementing concealed carry on campus was approved by the governance committee of the Board of Regents at its meeting Wednesday.

The draft policy, which includes measures about guns being holstered and creating restricted access entrances, was released by the University in early October as its response to a 2013 law that will allow concealed carry on all public facilities.  Kansas universities have been under an exemption since its passage, but that exemption expires on July 1, 2017. 

Policies from each of the six Regents universities were passed by the committee in Wednesday’s meeting, and the University of Kansas’ was the only one that was passed without any suggested amendments. 

The University’s policy did not generate much discussion in the governance meeting.  One item of note that University general counsel Jim Pottorff highlighted, however, was a provision of the policy that will affect the way students take tests. 

Pottorff talked about the habit of faculty members to require students taking a test to put their possessions, especially bags, in the front or back of the room to guard against cheating. That conflicts with the policy’s requirement that all concealed weapons (or the bag which they’re in) be in the vicinity of the carrier at all times. 

“So students will need to either leave their weapons at home or locked up in their car for test days,” Pottorff said.  “Otherwise, they certainly can carry their weapons as required by law.” 

A discussion from Wichita State University’s (WSU) policy, though, could affect the ways that other universities are implementing their policies.  WSU is trying to use a provision of the law to exempt their spaces like their medical or counseling clinics. 

David Moses, general counsel for WSU, explained that their university was considering spaces in which people need to be escorted as “private” areas.

Lawyers for the Regents, WSU and Kansas will likely look at the issue for its legality, and the committee passed their policy hinging on that approval. 

The draft policy will go before the full Board of Regents during the board’s December meeting.