harassment data

The University of Kansas Office of Student Affairs recently released data showing sanctions it took against students for violating its sexual harassment policy from 2017-2018.

The University of Kansas expelled six students and disciplined a further seven students in 2017-2018 for violating its sexual harassment policy, according to data recently released from the Office of Student Affairs.

The data shows a comprehensive list of disciplinary action Student Affairs has taken in the past two years against students on campus for violating its sexual harassment policy. Each sanction followed an investigation by the University’s Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access, which investigates complaints involving discrimination and harassment.

Thirteen disciplinary actions were taken against students in 2017 and 2018.

The 13 sanctions are part of a longer list of 65 sanctions Student Affairs has taken against students in the same period.

The complete list of sanctions are as follows:

• Suspension (one semester), campus ban (one semester), conditions on re-enrollment
  • Expulsion, campus ban (five years), transcript notation
  • Expulsion, campus ban (five years), no contact directive
  • Expulsion, campus ban (10 years), transcript notation
  • Expulsion, campus ban (three years), transcript notation, conditions on re-enrollment
  • Suspension (two years), campus ban (two years), conditions on re-enrollment
  • Campus ban (10 years)
  • Suspension (one semester), conditions on re-enrollment, education/training
  • Probation (one year), education/training, withdrawal from course/activity
  • Probation (one year), education/training (sexual misconduct and alcohol)

The Kansan obtained the data after reaching out to University spokesperson Erinn Barcomb-Peterson with a media request for the sanctions since Dec. 31, 2016. Previously, the website that showed that information did not list sanctions during 2017 and 2018.

“Although the goal is to have updates at a regular interval, we do not update the data [if] the new batch of data is too small — smaller than 10, for example,” she said in an email, adding that “could constitute a FERPA violation because of potentially identifiable information.”

FERPA is the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, a federal law designed to protect student privacy.

The initial list of data was released by the University’s Sexual Assault Task Force created by then-Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little in 2014, Barcomb-Peterson said.

The data does not include complaints made to IOA against University employees, according to the Student Affairs website. Employees found in violation of the University’s sexual harassment policy face disciplinary action from their unit. Additionally, the data does not include complaints made against third parties.

IOA investigates the complaints and has the ability to recommend punitive action. Where IOA finds a violation in the University’s Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities, it refers the case to Student Affairs for disciplinary action, but should IOA say there is insufficient evidence to support a violation, no disciplinary action is recommended.

The data does not include how many complaints were reported to IOA in the past two years.