McCarthy Hall

An investigation into a reported rape at Marie S. McCarthy Hall recently concluded, the Douglas County District Attorney's Office says.

Five Kansas men's basketball players are listed as witnesses in the investigation of an alleged rape of a 16-year-old girl in McCarthy Hall. The incident allegedly took place sometime between 10 p.m. Dec. 17 and 5 a.m. Dec. 18, just after the end of finals week.

The police report regarding the incident from the University’s Office of Public Safety lists Frank Mason III, Mitch Lightfoot, Lagerald Vick, Tucker Vang and Josh Jackson as witnesses. The report is available to the public and was obtained by the Kansan on Wednesday for $2.

PSO Deputy Chief James Anguiano said being identified as a witness means that they supplied information and could have been present before, during or after the incident.

Two females, both 19 years-old, were also witnesses. Neither of their names are found in the University’s public student database, although one is listed as residing at 1632 Engel Road, the same address as University dormitory Hashinger Hall.

When asked if any of the witnesses could be suspects, Anguiano said the investigation is ongoing and that a suspect has not been identified. No charges have been filed. 

According to a PSO press release, the girl who was allegedly raped was visiting McCarthy Hall, an on-campus apartment complex in which most of the men’s basketball team resides, along with some upperclassmen and non-traditional students. 

The girl also reported no physical injury, the release said.

According to Diana Robertson, the director of student housing, 38 students live in McCarthy Hall, 17 of which are scholarship athletes. Two student housing employees live in McCarthy Hall, a resident assistant and a complex director. Robertson said that, according to the housing handbook, all guests must be accompanied by residents, but because of the multiple entrances to the building, guests are not checked in at the 24-hour front desk. 

As for security features of McCarthy Hall, Robertson said there is biometric scanning that allows residents to scan into their floors and rooms. 

The report also lists additional allegations of providing alcohol to a minor; possession of drug paraphernalia; and contributing to a child’s misconduct, which, according to the Kansas Legislature website, is related to encouraging a minor to commit a crime, participate in illegal activity or be a runaway. 

Two glass smoking devices were also confiscated, the report said.

KU Athletics is cooperating fully with the investigation, Jim Marchiony, the associate athletic director of public affairs, said in an email Tuesday night.

Sean Lester, deputy athletics director and the sport supervisor for men's basketball, is listed as “other” on the report. Anguiano said the classification means that Lester is participating in the investigation, but not as a witness. 

Joe Monaco, the University’s director of strategic communications, did not offer a comment on the incident, beyond to say that the investigation is ongoing and being handled by PSO.

The team had a game in Kansas City, Missouri, on the night of Dec. 17.

The Kansan will continue to follow-up on this story as more information becomes available. Check back at Kansan.com for updates.

Chandler Boese, McKenna Harford, Amie Just and Lara Korte contributed to this report.

— Edited by Candice Tarver