McCarthy Hall

An investigation into a reported rape at Marie S. McCarthy Hall recently concluded, the Douglas County District Attorney's Office says.

The investigation into the alleged sexual assault of a 16-year-old girl at McCarthy Hall has now been concluded by the University’s Public Safety Office and sent to the Douglas County District Attorney’s office.

Deputy Chief James Anguiano of the Public Safety Office confirmed Wednesday that the office sent its investigation, which has been going on since the assault was reported on Dec. 18, to the DA. All decisions about charges and further action on the incident will be handled by the DA.

Anguiano could not provide any information as to what the investigation found or if they have a suspect. The DA’s office also confirmed that it has the case. Cheryl Wright-Kunard, the DA public information officer, said in an email that the office has a suspect, but cannot identify them at this time. 

The original police report did not list a suspect and the Public Safety Office has not released one since.

The incident, which became public knowledge in January, allegedly occurred sometime during the night of Dec. 17, just after the end of the fall semester. The individual listed as a victim on the police report was a 16-year-old female. McCarthy Hall, the apartment complex on Naismith Drive where most of the men’s basketball players live, was listed as the location of the reported crime.

Kansas basketball players Frank Mason III, Mitch Lightfoot, Lagerald Vick, Tucker Vang and Josh Jackson were listed as witnesses, which Anguiano said at the time meant they had provided the police with some sort of information. They could have been present before, during or after the incident. The team had a game in Kansas City, Missouri, on the night of Dec. 17. Two 19-year-old women were also listed as witnesses.

Sean Lester, the deputy athletics director and the sport supervisor for men’s basketball, was also listed as “other” on the initial report. Per Anguiano back in January, that classification means that Lester is participating in the investigation, but not as a witness.

The Kansan has reached out to Kansas Athletics for comment.

There was another report filed the same night for a runaway at McCarthy Hall, but the victim’s name is not included. Sophomore forward Carlton Bragg Jr. was a witness in that case along with the same two 19-year-old women.

Bragg, who is now planning to transfer to Arizona State, was charged with possession of drug paraphernalia as a result of items found in his possession that same night at McCarthy Hall. He later received diversion for that charge.

The Kansan will provide updates on the case and any pending charges as they become available.

— Amie Just and Lara Korte contributed to this report