Strong Hall

The Office of Graduate Studies is looking to expand their recruitment and retention rates of minority students.  

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this article incorrectly paraphrased a statement by Joe Monaco. The article has since been updated.

On Monday, the office of Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little submitted a draft of the University’s proposed policy on allowing concealed weapons on campus to the Kansas Board of Regents.

The draft amends the University’s policies on allowing weapons on campus to fit with the Personal and Family Protection Act, which was amended in 2013 to allow concealed weapons on public property.  The University’s exemption from the amendments expires on July 1, 2017.

The policy submitted by the University would allow anyone over the age of 21 to carry a gun on University property unless the building is equipped with adequate security measures (defined by the law as metal detectors and security guards) or a system for restricted access.

The draft policy did not specify which buildings would get security measures. Joe Monaco, the University’s director of strategic communications, said further implementation of the policy would be discussed after the November review.

A statement made by the chancellor on Monday said the committees who are working on campus-specific implementation plans are still continuing their work. In August, members of the Lawrence committee said they were looking at restricted access to research facilities, temporary security measures for sporting events and communications to members of the University community.

Residents of on-campus housing facilities would be allowed to store weapons in their room under the policy if they provide secure storage for the weapon and their hall does not have adequate security measures.

Those who would like to carry a concealed weapon would be required to carry it with the safety on in a holster that covers the entire weapon.  If the weapon is carried in a purse or backpack, the purse or backpack should be in the owner’s hands at all times, according to the policy.

In her statement, the chancellor said she knew that creating a policy for the University that would still prioritize safety would be difficult.

“But thanks to the committees and so many of you, I believe we’ve created the best possible policy for KU,” she said.