Lawrence Public Library

A summer book sale is being hosted at the Lawrence Public Library by the Friends of the Library, Friday through Sunday.

The Lawrence Public Library’s Summer Book Sale hosted by the Friends of the Library opened its doors to the public Friday morning. Books on sale, all having been donated to the library, cost between 50 cents and $2.

The library’s book sale began in the 1970s with the Friends of the Library seeking a new way to fund programs for patrons. In the past, the sale has brought more than $20,000 that goes toward funding programs like summer reading and visits from authors.

“The money made from the book sale is meant to supplement the money that the library is already given,” said Angela Hyde, program director of the Friends of the Library. “It pays for summer reading which brings in kids, teens and adults, and with the funding we can do so much more for it.”

In addition to funding programs, much of the proceeds go to buying new material for the library.

“They gave us almost all of the funds to buy new materials and fund some of our programs,” said Angela Longhurst, library account manager. “The book sale is always a nice boost for the library.”

The sale can be found on the south side of the library on Kentucky Street for the next three days. About 60,000 books have been donated to fill the shelves of the library’s book sale space from wall to wall. Donations are no longer being accepted as all shelf space has been filled.

The book sale runs from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Friday and Saturday, and noon to 4 p.m. on Sunday.