Two men in masks arrested on campus

View the full gallery here

News happens every day. The Kansan has produced 121 issues and 10 special sections since August. Therefore, it would be nearly impossible to rehash every story The Kansan has published this year. Instead, here are some highlights.

Masked men on campus

One man, wearing a Guy Fawkes mask, recognizable from the movie “V for Vendetta,” entered classrooms in Budig Hall and Wescoe Hall on the afternoon of Nov. 5. In some of the larger lecture halls, they interrupted classes to make statements in protest of sexual assault. They called for punishment of alleged assault perpetrators and threatened action. The man was arrested and plead not guilty to charges of disorderly conduct and obstruction of legal process.

Rock Chalk Barack

On Jan. 22, President Barack Obama visited the University and spoke at Anschutz Sports Pavilion. He revisited his State of the Union address and discussed middle class families, child care and his Kansas roots. More than 6,000 people attended the speech, including selected students who were invited to stand behind Obama. He was the first sitting president of the United States to visit the University since William H. Taft in 1911.

Open records requests denied

Starting in September, the Kansan news staff filed 11 Kansas Open Records Act requests with the University in regard to sexual assaults that have occurred on campus. The University denied all of these requests, but released some heavily redacted records to The Kansan’s legal representation on April 24. From the redacted records, it appears the University issued a variety of different sanctions for violations of the same sexual harassment policy.

State cuts University funding

Governor Sam Brownback announced a 2 percent cut in funding for higher education statewide in February. In April, the Kansas legislature proposed a tuition freeze for the six major Regents Universities for two years, rather than approve cuts that would have decreased funding to KU by $9.4 million. In a public message April 20, Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little said in the last 15 years, per-student state support has decreased 40 percent. The tuition freeze could have a greater detriment than the original proposed cuts, according to Joe Monaco, interim director of strategic communications.