Med Center shooting

An active shooter was reported late Monday night at KUMC. 

Final update 2:55 a.m.

One man is dead and one man is in critical condition, according to Kansas City Kansas Police.

Officer Thomas Tomasic said at around 11:30 p.m. on Monday night, police received calls of shots fired at 7th and Osage, about three miles from the hospital. Soon after, a man arrived at the emergency ramp of the University of Kansas Hospital with a woman. A spokesperson for the hospital said it was believed that both arrived at the hospital wounded.

The man ran toward the entrance of the hospital and was followed by another male suspect, who shot the victim before turning the gun on himself, killing himself.

"At this time, that first male victim, again life-threatening, is not suspected to make it," Tomasic said.

The woman in the car is being treated for minor injuries. No hospital employees were harmed or nearby during the incident, police said. 

Although police had set up squad cars near the entrance as of 3 a.m., Tomasic said the hospital was open and accepting those who needed to get inside. Police are expected to clear the scene soon. 

Update 1:13 a.m.

Kansas City Kansas Police Chief Terry Zeigler said in a tweet that police are investigating a homicide at the entrance to the hospital. 

Update 12:49 a.m.

A spokesperson for the KU Medical Center told the Kansan the shooting occurred at the University of Kansas Hospital, not the medical school. 

Update 12:36 a.m.

KU Medical Center Police told the Kansan the active shooter has been contained and there is no longer an active threat to campus. Authorities could not confirm at this time whether there were any injuries or fatalities. 

Police are still telling people to avoid main entrances. 

Original story:

Police at the University of Kansas Medical Center confirmed after midnight on Tuesday morning that an active shooter is on the campus.

An emergency message went out to campus community members at 11:58 p.m. on Monday telling those on campus to "Run, Hide, Fight," and to stay away from the KU front entrance on Cambridge Street. 

Law enforcement told the Kansan the police are dealing with an active shooter and don't have any further details.