ArcD board meeting-2.jpg

Mahesh Daas will not return to the University of Kansas in the fall.

Mahesh Daas, dean of the School of Architecture and Design, will not return to the University of Kansas in the fall after being named president of Boston Architectural College, Interim Provost Carl Lejuez said Wednesday in an email to faculty.

After leading the School of Architecture and Design for four years, Daas will begin his new responsibilities July 1, Lejuez said.

“During his time, he built a bold vision for the School and did so through curricular innovations, targeted research development efforts, and enhanced relationships with external constituencies,” Lejuez said in the email.

The announcement comes after months of controversy following a quiet settlement with a school faculty member and the removal of department chairs faculty members told the Kansan demonstrated a “general recklessness” on the part of Daas.

The University Faculty Rights Board found the department chair removals to be “inconsistent with the spirit of the University’s longstanding best practices and principles of shared governance.” Students also expressed concerns about these events at a faculty meeting last October.

Lejuez said he would be consulting with different constituencies inside and outside of the school in the coming days, with a leadership transition plan anticipated next week.

“Although this leadership transition poses important challenges, I am confident that recent collaborative efforts in the school involving the dean and the faculty and staff have brought the school together and engaged its collaborative spirit,” Lejuez said in the email.