120517_Jerseys_BettinaBugatto

There have been many counterfeit University of Kansas basketball jerseys sold online this season. This has promoted online sales outside of The University of Kansas.

Jerseys are staples of University student’s wardrobes, with jersey parties and home games happening every week during basketball season.

The search for these jerseys may lead to in-person stores, Amazon, or KU's website itself, but buying jerseys and apparel through Instagram has slowly risen.

Aaron Thomas, a sophomore from Clearwater, Florida, majoring in business, created and runs Jersey Express, an Instagram account that sells jerseys to its followers. Thomas started the account his freshman year and has kept it going ever since with bi-weekly posts.

“I had a large collection of jerseys and I was in need of some cash, so I began selling them,” Thomas said.

Thomas starts by posting a picture of a jersey, either from his own collection or one that he orders, on the account with a comment below saying the price, details about the item and the phrase “DM me to purchase.”

Those interested then direct message the account and tell him their intent to buy. If the customer lives on campus, they will then meet up and pay cash or use Venmo, a digital wallet app used for payments.

Thomas then goes onto the account and edits the original comment below the picture, adding “🔴SOLD🔴” in front of the original comment. A few weeks later, a picture of a new item is posted and the process starts again.

This idea is relatively new to campus, but Thomas pushed to make it popular and successful.

“It started by creating the Instagram and really just trying to get the business idea out to people on campus,” Thomas said. “I focused on fraternity and sorority houses.”

Junior Alli Gonzalez is a business major from Naperville, Illinois, who has purchased two jerseys through the account.

“I was followed on Instagram by the account and I also had a friend purchase a jersey from him,” Gonzalez said. “I originally bought my first jersey at an actual store for around $70, but have bought from the account the last two times and have not been disappointed.”

Jersey Express’ success has been relatively high, selling 39 out of the 52 posts. One of the main draws of the business is the prices. Prices are kept between $30 and $50 compared to KUStore.com, where jersey prices average over $70.

Jersey Express isn’t the only account selling this way, though. Vintage Jayhawk, created and run by sophomore finance major Marcus Quere from Fort Collins, Colorado, sells vintage Kansas gear for substantially cheaper prices than the KU store.

Items like hats, jackets, shirts and jerseys are posted the same way as Jersey Express.

“I started selling jerseys at a young age through eBay,” Quere said. “KU just gave me an easier way to access customers.”

He created the account and posted its first item in January and has continued to post items frequently. Prices on jerseys range from $15 to $35, but the real draw of the account is its items from different generations.

“I buy from a lot of thrift stores and eBay,” Quere said. “I focus on finding vintage pieces that aren’t seen throughout campus.”

The question of the legality of these Instagram accounts is addressed in a previous article by the Kansan.

— Edited by Wesley Dotson