Friday was a big day for KU athletics as three track stars aimed to keep their Olympic hopes intact. Andrea Geubelle, Michael Stigler and Rebeka Stowe were all in action at Hayward Field in Eugene, Ore., as U.S. Olympic Team qualifying is winding down.

The events are coming to an end, but the competition remains at full strength.

Stowe, a senior, ran in the final round of qualifying for the 3,000-meter Steeplechase Friday evening. She had one of her best performances of the year finishing with a time of 10:02.82 and a 13th place finish, but it was not enough for a trip to London.

Stigler, a freshman, was in action against three medal winners from the Beijing Olympics on Friday. He did not let that distract him during semifinal action of the men's 400-meter hurdles. Stigler ran a 49.50, finished third in his heat and sixth overall, to advance to the eight person final round of qualifying that takes place Sunday at 6:12 p.m. CT according to USA Track & Field.

Geubelle, a junior, who earned a bronze medal in triple jump earlier this week, is now trying to earn a spot on the U.S. Olympic Team in the long jump. She started the day strong with a jump of 6.49m (21-3 ½ ft.), but was unable to best the jump in her next two attempts. The leap of 6.49m was good for a 10th place finish. In order to make the team she will need to hit the A-Standard mark of 6.75m. The 12-person final round starts Sunday at 5:00 p.m. CT according to USA Track & Field.