Editor's note: In a previous version of this article the two individuals were named because the case was public record at the time. The charges filed against the two individuals were later dropped and their records expunged. The Kansan has removed the names to reflect this change. 

A University student who has been charged with rape, was released from jail Tuesday evening after posting bail. This means he is free to return to campus and his classes.

However, under Title IX the University is able to issue a no contact order, which means that he would not be able to be in the same class as the victim if they had any together. Erinn Barcomb Peterson, director of news and media relations, said that the University can’t release his schedule or any schedule changes that might occur.

KU Public Safety Office could enforce the court ordered no contact if contact occurred on campus. 

Two men were arrested Oct. 7 on suspicion of raping two women in Hashinger Residence Hall, according to Capt. James Anguiano of the KU Public Safety Office. The alleged rapes occurred between 2 a.m. and 5 a.m. on Sept. 28. 

One of the men was also released from jail on Oct. 15 at 7:51 p.m., according to the offender release notification.

Preliminary hearings for the men have been scheduled for Nov. 4 at 2 p.m., so evidence may be collected for both cases.

Hearings for motions made by both court-appointed lawyers of the accused were set for Oct. 21 at 11 a.m.. The lawyers also requested bond modifications but were denied, so bond remains at $50,000 cash or surety.

Anguiano said the PSO began its investigation Oct. 3 after the two women made reports. He also said while the alleged rapes occurred the same morning as the alleged Kappa Sigma fraternity sexual assault incidents, the two are not related.

The PSO reviewed the Hashinger Residence Hall incidents because they happened on campus, but Lawrence Police are investigating the claims against Kappa Sigma, which is located off campus at 1045 Emery Rd.

Anguiano said the office handed over reports to the Douglas County District Attorney, who will carry out the case.

This story is developing. Check back at Kansan.com for updates.

— Edited by Alyssa Scott