Track star Dixon qualifies for Olympics

KU track star Diamond Dixon. Dixon is made the Team USA Olympic track team in the 400 meter run.

A school record was set on Sunday in the women's 400-meter, at Hayward Field in Eugene, Ore., as Diamond Dixon earned a spot on the U.S. Olympic Team.

In the final round of qualifying for the 400-meter Sunday night, Dixon was up against some of the best in the world, including 2011 World Champion Sanya Richard-Ross. Needing at least a top-six finish to make the U.S. Olympic Team, Dixon ran a school record time of 50.88 and a earned a fifth-place finish that secured her spot on the team.

Had Dixon finished in the top three, she would have been guaranteed to run the 400 in London. The fifth-place finish earned her a spot in the 4x4 relay pool instead.

There are several other Jayhawks in Eugene for Olympic qualifying, but only two, Kyle Clemons and Andrea Geubelle, have seen action thus far.

Clemons finished 23rd in the men's 400 on Friday, which was not enough to advance to the next round, but Geubelle is still very much in the hunt.

Geubelle competed in triple jump on Saturday, qualifying where she began her day with a jump of 44-4 1/4 feet (13.52 meters), which placed her at the top of the leader board through the first round. In the second and third round of jumps Geubelle had consecutive faults and consequently fell to fourth place.

Still firmly in the mix, Geubelle will compete in the 12-person final qualifying round Monday at 7:45 p.m. CST. She will need to best her previous jump by .78 meters to hit the necessary A-Standard mark of 14.30 meters (46-11 feet) in order to earn a spot in the London games.

Geubelle also competes in long jump, and qualifying for that event begins June 29.