Another lovely Strong Hall photo

In-state students at the University of Kansas will see no increase in their tuition next year.

Tuition will not increase next year for in-state students at the University of Kansas’ Lawrence campus, the Kansas Board of Regents decided at a meeting Wednesday.

The Regents approved flat rate tuition for resident students at all Regent universities, which includes Kansas State University, Wichita State University, Emporia State University and others.

In May, the Regents encouraged universities to eliminate their tuition increase proposals in light of a $33 million increase in higher education funding passed by the Kansas legislature.

“We’ve got to stop that train somehow and the Legislature’s helped us this year,” Regent Bill Feuerborn said at Wednesday’s meeting. “To keep that on track, I believe we need to be at zero.”

The University lowered their proposal from a 1% increase to a flat rate for resident students. Emporia State University and Wichita State University also eliminated their increases, and Kansas State University reduced its proposed rate from a 3.1% increase to a 1.5% increase.

The Regents’ decision enforces a flat rate across the board, eliminating the increase proposed at Kansas State University.

“We need to do all we can to ease the burden of the soaring cost of college for students in Kansas,” Gov. Laura Kelly said in a press release regarding the Regent’s decision. “That’s why it’s necessary to protect the state revenue stream moving forward, so we can continue to invest in higher education, bring down tuition rates, and expand educational opportunities to even more Kansans in the future.”

The University also approved a flat tuition rate for in-state graduate students and medical school students. The rate for out-of-state students will increase 2.5%, as previously proposed.

“To take it to zero, we’re cutting some stuff,” Chancellor Douglas Girod said at the meeting. “In working with them and trying to be a good team player, it’s not without cost.”