Breaking News Banner

4:05 p.m. UPDATE: Deputy police chief James Anguiano confirmed to the Kansan that the gun found unattended in a Wescoe Hall bathroom Tuesday morning was a .38-caliber revolver and was loaded.

After checking the gun’s serial number, officers found out it was stolen from Olathe, Anguiano said. The Olathe Police Department has been notified.

3:40 p.m. UPDATE: Student Body Vice President Mattie Carter tweeted a response Tuesday afternoon to the Kansan's reports of a gun being left in a Wescoe Hall bathroom earlier that morning. 

"Can't imagine how it must have felt to find this weapon. Disappointed [sic] to see this policy violation. If you see a weapon, please call 911," the tweet read. 

Multiple requests for updates from the University Public Safety Office and the Office of Public Affairs have gone unanswered as of 3:40 p.m. 

12:35 p.m. UPDATE: Just after 11 a.m., a student found an unattended gun left on the toilet in a men’s bathroom on the fourth floor of Wescoe Hall and reported it to his graduate teaching assistant before the beginning of class.

He said he felt scared and shocked.

“It took me a second to really realize that’s what it was,” he said. 

He didn’t know whether someone had dropped it or left it or if it was there for an ulterior motive.

“[Guns are normally] out of sight out of mind. It is much more scary to have it presented to you in your face,” he said. 

Teaching assistant Kate Nygren called 911 immediately. She said she is not sure what happened afterwards, since she had to start class.

“I called the number that I have most immediate to me,” she said. “I think that what this indicates is that we maybe are having an issue with a degree of education about how to conceal and carry, how to report incidents relating to the reality of guns on campus and that may be something that the school needs to take very seriously."

ORIGINAL STORY: KU Public Safety Officers retrieved an unattended gun Tuesday from a bathroom on the fourth floor of Wescoe Hall just after 11 a.m., Deputy Police Chief James Anguiano confirmed to the Kansan.

Anguiano said he could not disclose the type of gun, and it is unknown whether the weapon was loaded. 

The next step is to find the owner of the weapon, Anguiano said. 

Leaving the gun unattended is not treated as a criminal offense, Anguiano said, but the owner could face disciplinary charges from the University. 

Public affairs officials did not have any additional information about the incident as of noon on Tuesday. 

This is a developing story. Check back for updates as they become available.