Shooting

The scene of a fatal shooting early Oct. 1 near Massachusetts and 11th Streets.

7:40 p.m. UPDATE: Sunday's early morning shooting was not the result of a drive-by, according to the Lawrence Police Department's official twitter account. The incident "stemmed from a physical altercation."

2:15 p.m. UPDATE: The intersection of 11th and Massachusetts has been reopened to traffic, according to the official Twitter account for the Lawrence Police Department.

12:12 p.m. UPDATE: Captain Trent McKinley of the Lawrence Police Department said early Sunday afternoon that the intersection of 11th and Massachusetts streets is still closed. 

"We hope to reopen it within the next few hours," McKinley said.

McKinley said the LPD is not releasing any other information at this time. 

ORIGINAL STORY: Three people were killed and two more sustained non-life threatening injuries in an early morning shooting Sunday, according to the Lawrence Police Department. 

According to a department press release, officers responded to the intersection of 11th and Massachusetts Street near the Watkins Museum of History just before 1:45 a.m and found several people suffering from gunshot wounds.

Leah Elizabeth Brown, 22, from Shawnee, Colwin Lynn Henderson, 20, from Topeka and Tremel Dupree Dean, 24, from Topeka were killed in the shooting, the release said. 

A witness told the Kansan he was sitting with people in front of the museum about 10 minutes before the shooting took place and they decided they wanted to get coffee. That's when they heard between nine and 12 gunshots. 

The witness described seeing medical personnel trying to resuscitate an injured male in front of the Watkins History Museum and that there was another man injured who was sitting against the building. 

The witness said they did not see the shooting itself take place.

Erika Lowe lives on Tennessee Street and has lived in Lawrence since January. She told the Kansan her husband works at Louise's Bar in the 1000 block of Massachusetts Street and that the situation is "unnerving."

"The Aladdin Cafe, I was just there last week and [now] there's like blood in front of it." she said. "I've never heard anything about people getting shot right downtown. I mean, my husband works right here so it seems just like a little scary."

Brown, Henderson or Dean were not enrolled as students at the University, according to Erinn Barcomb-Peterson, director of news and media relations.

The 10th through 12th Street blocks of Massachusetts Street remain closed to traffic as of Sunday at 9:15 a.m. The investigation is still ongoing and officers are still looking for suspects, the release said.

Anyone with information on the incident is asked to contact the Lawrence Police Department at (785) 832 7509 or Crime Stoppers of Lawrence and Douglas County at (785)-843-TIPS

This story will be updated as new information is made available.

Jack Nadeau, Conner Mitchell and Darby VanHoutan contributed to this report.