Trump Transparency

President Donald Trump speaks in the East Room of the White House in Washington.

I’ll be honest — 2017 Republicans make me upset. I’m not talking about Kansas RINOs (Republicans in name only): I mean the Republicans who won in November.

After major Republican victories were seen in the House, Senate and the presidency, these wins were widely broadcast as a huge revival for Republicans.

I disagree.

With the eventual disappearance of the moderate Republican, who generally identify as a Democrat on social issues and Republican on fiscal and governmental issues, these recent Republican victories were far-and-wide for right-wing Republicans, who in no way promote the values of the Republican party my family was or is a part of.

The Republican cornerstone ideal of limited government was admittedly nice until the onset of globalization and concerns about our environment became obvious. The concept of reduced government spending was also laudable until military spending completely dominated government spending.

This idea of civil republicanism is beyond endangered. It certainly can’t be found on today’s Republican agenda. The Republican party of today has started to cling to and promote the weakest, most disturbing part of its platform: social issues.

Liston: Trump’s travel ban threatens freedom of religion

As passionately as a Republican voter will tell you they voted straight ticket for those cornerstone reasons, they are simultaneously supporting social issues that have become not only intolerant, but dangerous.

The social platform of the right-wing Republican Party victors has long promoted its fervent belief in the Second Amendment, opposition of gay marriage, and anti-immigration policies. The power that resulted from these recent victories was not granted to moderate Republicans, but rather their rebranded party that seems to violate the very foundations of the Republican Party.

Even Ronald Reagan, commonly thought of as a Republican hero, sought to provide amnesty to three million illegal immigrants and imagined an America with open borders of Mexico and Canada.

Trump and other newly elected Republicans are taking power, and those who voted a straight-Republican ticket are still searching for their representatives to take a stand for fiscal conservation and limited government, none of which Trump ran on, nor do other Republican victors seem to support.

Columnist Sandra Sanchez argues that people should not make the comparison of President Donald Trump to Adolf Hitler, the former leader of the Nazi Party during World War II who had a much different rise to power and post-election motives.

Not only were Republican voters misled by thinking their party representatives would uphold the ideals of the Republican party, they also supported these dangerous social policies simply because an "R" was placed by a candidate’s name. The apparent lack of research done by today’s Republican voters is not only disturbing but an honest insult to our voting system.

This Republican party is far from what it once was, and the danger of its new social platform cannot be overstated. Political parties aside, we must remain vigilant in attempt to block this dangerous social agenda, from defunding Planned Parenthood to striking down President Trump’s travel ban.

Nellie Kassebaum is a sophomore from Burdick studying English and public policy.

— Edited by Omar Sanchez