As far back as I can remember my body has been sexualized. Throughout my childhood, I was taught to cross my legs when I wore a skirt, and even though all the boys in the neighborhood walked around without shirts, girls were not allowed to do it. It is not ladylike. At ages 5 and 6, this did not register with me. Why do I have to worry about people seeing my body?

This semester I decided to take my first women’s studies class in an attempt to become the most well-rounded feminist I could be. Over and over, I hear my fellow female classmates discuss instances where they have been assaulted for trying to live out their day-to-day lives solely for being a woman.

I do not want to live in a society that leaves me frightened in my own community. Even if my dress is too short, or my shirt fits too snug, I do not want that to be an invitation. Just because men tend to have higher sex drives, according to WebMD, and I may be a little intoxicated, does not mean I am asking for it. We need to teach young boys to not just grow up to be men, but to be gentlemen as well — a man who views women as their equal, and not just an object their for their convenience. At universities, we are the future. By tackling these issues of sexism, the world can be a better place for everyone.

Gabrielle Buckner is a freshman from Wichita studying global and international studies and Spanish